Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which tools / toolkit should every small GA airplane owner have for maintenance?

@fly310 thread merged into existing one.

Also, there is an old post that covers some of this:

Exactly; IMHO a “toolkit” is of little use for carrying in an aircraft, unless you are talking about little socket set kits which weigh perhaps 0.5kg. In any larger kit, 90% of the tools will be of no use on that aircraft. So it is much better to assemble a toolkit for the specific aircraft.

I ended up with a toolbox weighing over 10kg, but it is great because the whole 50hr service can be done with it.

If you have your own hangar, or secure storage somewhere, then you can buy toolkits as much as you want There are some very nice (and expensive) German ones, exhibited every year at Aero Friedrichshafen, and in most cases you can buy them right there. Not all though (some are order-only) and most German firms no longer sell to the UK although of course Sweden should be fine.

Recently I tried to reduce the weight of my toolbox and looked around for titanium tools. The weight reduction is really amazing, but so are the prices, at say $200 for a spanner. However… just looked again and they are going “really cheap”

These are more reassuringly priced

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I realise that I could have been a bit more clear.
I am looking for tool chest which should be used for doing maintenance in the hangar, eg an annual. But it would of course also make sense to have a smaller tool kit to carry in the aircraft as well. I just need to get an aircraft first. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

The imposable quest.

Back in 1976 British Airways issued me with an apprentice tool box ( paid for by me in weekly instalments ) . Since then the tool collection has expanded to fill six Snap-on tool chests and a number of multi draw standing cabinets.

All this effort is in vain as my quest is not complete, I still find myself entering the Snap-on truck and finding something I need. Admittedly the rate of spend has gone down but it has not stopped and probably won’t until I am carried out of the hangar feet first.

Peter wrote:

spark plug socket
http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=N02OUBYFP

I got one of these as suggested back at the time. Googling the model number it looks like the original is for sale with Aircraft Tool Supply Co in the US at almost half the price. I’m about to get their wirelocking pliers at $26 and will see if they’re any good.

Edit: they also do the oil filter torque wrench

Last Edited by Capitaine at 08 Dec 15:38
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

One can never have too much tools, period

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message