Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which tools / toolkit should every small GA airplane owner have for maintenance?

One can never have too much tools, period

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

spark plug socket
http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=N02OUBYFP

I got one of these as suggested back at the time. Googling the model number it looks like the original is for sale with Aircraft Tool Supply Co in the US at almost half the price. I’m about to get their wirelocking pliers at $26 and will see if they’re any good.

Edit: they also do the oil filter torque wrench

Last Edited by Capitaine at 08 Dec 15:38
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The imposable quest.

Back in 1976 British Airways issued me with an apprentice tool box ( paid for by me in weekly instalments ) . Since then the tool collection has expanded to fill six Snap-on tool chests and a number of multi draw standing cabinets.

All this effort is in vain as my quest is not complete, I still find myself entering the Snap-on truck and finding something I need. Admittedly the rate of spend has gone down but it has not stopped and probably won’t until I am carried out of the hangar feet first.

I realise that I could have been a bit more clear.
I am looking for tool chest which should be used for doing maintenance in the hangar, eg an annual. But it would of course also make sense to have a smaller tool kit to carry in the aircraft as well. I just need to get an aircraft first. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

@fly310 thread merged into existing one.

Also, there is an old post that covers some of this:

Exactly; IMHO a “toolkit” is of little use for carrying in an aircraft, unless you are talking about little socket set kits which weigh perhaps 0.5kg. In any larger kit, 90% of the tools will be of no use on that aircraft. So it is much better to assemble a toolkit for the specific aircraft.

I ended up with a toolbox weighing over 10kg, but it is great because the whole 50hr service can be done with it.

If you have your own hangar, or secure storage somewhere, then you can buy toolkits as much as you want There are some very nice (and expensive) German ones, exhibited every year at Aero Friedrichshafen, and in most cases you can buy them right there. Not all though (some are order-only) and most German firms no longer sell to the UK although of course Sweden should be fine.

Recently I tried to reduce the weight of my toolbox and looked around for titanium tools. The weight reduction is really amazing, but so are the prices, at say $200 for a spanner. However… just looked again and they are going “really cheap”

These are more reassuringly priced

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If money is an issue I would spend it on the small tools. Usually what we need is a tiny tool as things are difficult o get to. On the other hand for a 1" spanner a 15 Euro set from ebay will probably do the trick for an amateur pilot / owner. The big stuff is not required very often and aircraft structures can not withstand huge forces anyway so compared to car maintenance the stress on the big tools is not that much in my experience.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I suspect a whole kit at once (e.g. Red Box) is going to cost a pretty penny. That being said, I have always liked Bahco which is what Red Box seem to be selling. I gather they are the OEM for some Snap On tools, so quite high quality without the exorbitant pricing.

If you have some tools and just want the case, Pelican do some mobile tool chests https://www.peli.com/eu/en/product/cases/mobile-tool-chest/protector/0450

If you fill these boxes up they are going to be very heavy and not something you want to carry in the aircraft. Or perhaps I have misunderstood, and you are looking for a hangar tool chest? Then any chest with roller bearing drawers will do. In North America Costco often have a deal on something suitible, from the internet, I gather they have just opened a store in Sweden. There are many other European manufacturers who produce high quality items… Gedore, Beta, Stahlwille, Hazet, Facom to list a few.

If in the aircraft, I would go with a some sort of small plastic box/crate, and tool rolls for the select items you intend to carry. For example: https://www.halfords.com/tools/storage/tool-bags/stanley-tool-roll-223930.html These are soft and don’t take up much extra room.

Pre-brexit, I found that many German tool suppliers had pretty good prices (strength of Sterling and no import tax). One that I have placed a few orders from is https://www.tbs-aachen.de/ . I particularly like their clearance pages for Stahlwille and Hazet tools… very good German brands.

When I was in North America, I ended up ordering speciality tools from Aircraft Spruce, e.g. oil filter cutter, spark plug gapping, lock wire pliers, etc.

Best of luck, it is always a pleasure to get a nice tool box together… are they ever complete :-)?

Also, there is an old post that covers some of this:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenance-avionics/7459-which-tools-toolkit-should-every-small-ga-airplane-owner-have-for-maintenance?page=1

Last Edited by Canuck at 23 Feb 12:57
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

So, I am looking for a good tool kit for aviation maintenance with imperial units.

Aircraft Spruce seem to have some good kits, also Red Box Tools in UK.

Does anyone of you know if there is some similar supplier within EU?

ESSZ, Sweden

Thank you!

Biggin Hill

Last picture is a Hardinge lathe I found in Los Alamos from the AEC is at least 35 years old and I think it glows in the dark
Next to last are the collets to hold the material to be worked on the lathe
Next above is a hydraulic press for bending heavy material Komatsu
The green thing is a metal slicer with a roller on top for bending usually aluminum or thin steel
Above is our second Hardinge lathe (my hangar mate is a machinist by trade)
Next above is a metal bender (fan at bottom)
Of course a high volume air compressor is essential
Next above is a Bridgeport vertical mill one of three we have
The Komatsu is a duplicate photo we only have one of those weighs a ton
Above that is our spare Bridgeport vertical mill
And the first picture is a Tormach 770 CNC vertical CAD 3D vertical mill which is programmable and probably the most useful in the shop and has a reasonable price

Last Edited by magyarflyer at 23 Nov 04:01
KHQZ, United States
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message