Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An interesting type of hose fitting

I saw this on another plane (a turboprop) the other day

It is apparently used in the military quite a lot. The swivel joint is never tightened – no need to do so as it is quite hard to rotate anyway. You can just about turn it by hand.

It has two advantages:

• the hose doesn’t have any torsion on it when installed, and any torsion from installation will gradually disappear
  • the fitting is more compact (by about 3cm in the vertical dimension) because a second swivel fitting is avoided

I have never seen this used in low-end GA. Apparently it doesn’t cost anything significant, but most hose shops can’t do it. The seal in there must be pretty good because these hoses are all pressure tested at about 1500psi.

Bonus points for knowing what the little round hole in the lower nut does

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
The hole in the lower nut is for a nail that is hammered into a common groove machined in the nut and the elbow piece as well and that keeps the unit joined. Look at the Yak air or oil hose parts that show the same idea. I was very curious to see what keeps it all together so took a hacksaw to learn this. Afterwards I had to copy the elbow from stainless steel for exchanging the set of hoses in the 10 year period but did not get our own connectors back. They just sent overhauled completed sets of hoses back. Basically one could do these hose changes without any special tools as it is all just screwed together, no press required, but then you have no papers for the ARC. Maybe that will change with ELA 2. The swivel joint has most probably some o-ring in it like in many hydraulic joints for static pressure conditions. There is no turning action when once mounted on the machine/aircraft. Vic

vic
EDME

That’s very interesting, Vic – thanks for posting that.

The curious thing is where would the o-ring be? You can’t drive the threaded portion past it because that would damage it.

I thought the little hole in the nut – a common feature of hydraulic hoses – is to ensure that if someone unscrewed the hose with pressure inside, any pressure escapes (through the hole) while the fitting still has several threads holding it together. Well it may have that function but – I have just looked at some hoses – you are right; there is a pin driven in there.

Administrator
Well, about the o-ring, I donĀ“t know your items and am not sure where exactly the motion is. Very often o-rings are used for axial sealing so some flat face in there could be present but one can only find out by taking that to pieces for learning . At least this is a way to overcome these taper thread elbows that never really end in a position that you like to have. Vic
vic
EDME

That wasn’t my hose; I saw it on another aircraft. But I think I know where it was made, so will try to find out.

Administrator
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message