Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 Upgrade: WHELEN LED STROBES

Correct :

LFOU, France

Alexis is long gone. Maybe someone else will know.

Is this the optional wire to synchronise the two strobes?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Alexis,

As I saw, you have replaced legacy A600 with Orion 600.
How you connected “yellow” wire on Orion 600? Did you use an existing wire or you had routed a wire between two wingtip?

Thank you

Cobalt

More like a quarter of an hour after you have done the Form 123 a few times.

The biggest problem is having the owner ensure that you have all the aircraft paperwork……….. it’s a bit difficult doing the W&B adjustment without the aircraft weight schedule.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 27 May 12:10

Ok, an hour of form filling for a one-day job is not too bad by aviation standards, I guess..

Biggin Hill

Cobalt.

There is a bit more to it than that as depending on the old lighting installation some parts may need removing and a W&B adjustment.

The data is usually no problem as the manufacturer provided the data in the case of Whelen and in the case of the ELT I installed the manufacturer publishes an installation manual , reference was also made to AC43 ( for structural and electrical cables) and the electrical conector manufacturers data for the ELT.

As for the paperwork, the first time I compleated an EASA form 123 it took about an hour with lots of checking to ensure no SNAFU’s, the next one took about half that time.

CS-STAN is a good system that allows minor common sense changes with minimum paperwork.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 27 May 12:00

How many paper pushers to change a lightbulb?

What wigglylamp and A_and_C write is not contradictory – but how hard is it to “provide data how the installations is carried out”? Is it “removed wingtip according to maintenance manual, removed old light unit by removing two bolts, added new light unit using new bolts, reinstalled wingtip according to maintenance manual”, and attaching whatever Whelen provides as “installation data”, or is this more?

Last Edited by Cobalt at 27 May 10:00
Biggin Hill

CS-STAN still requires the certifying Part 66 to raise an EASA Form 123 to document the change, provide data on how the installation is carried out, demonstrate the installation data being used and address the ICA requirements.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Exactly. Nothing else needed. Same TSO as original lights.

Last Edited by at 26 May 17:53

A few months back I fitted LED strobes, NAV lights & a beacon to my PA28. All the Whelen units fitted the same footprint as the original units and the central power unit was removed.

A small W&B adjustment was avoided by an ELT of the same weight going into the space vacated by the strobe power unit.

Both these changes can be done with minimum paperwork by a part 66 licence holder ( on the type ) under EASA CS-STAN.

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message