Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pull type starter - how to keep?

Hi. I just got overhauled engine for Ercoupe aircraft. Unfortunately now I got new skytec starter with convertion for push switch :/

Maybe someone know if there is any alternative to keep old pull type system? I’m thinking about pull-type momentary switch. Idea is to keep oryginal, vintage style of aircraft.

EPKZ

What is the anatomy of your pull switch? All the ones I’ve ever seen are basically just momentary switches.

If it’s something odd, then perhaps you can keep the pull type hardware and construct a suitable mechanism for closing a standard momentary switch bought from somewhere like Farnell (depending on what your aviation authorities will allow in terms of modification for parts for vintage aircraft).

Andreas IOM

The old type used on Continentals had no starter solenoid, the person pulling the cable pulled a lever on the starter to close the contacts and engage the starter. I’m not aware of an off the shelf solution that would preserve the same pull type operation in the cockpit. I imagine the original starter could be overhauled and reinstalled, if available.

The Citroen 2 CV had a starter like that. DonĀ“t know if that is helpful as it is a 6 Volt type.
Vic

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Deucellier-381B-6-Volt-starter-for-Citroen-2cv-425cc-1300-Citroen-parts-in-SHOP-/272675660943

vic
EDME

Pic from above Ebay advert

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is a visual comparison of both types of Continental starter.

And here’s a closer view (this one being advertised for a C145 versus an Ercoupe’s four cylinder engine, but the same principle at least)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 May 16:52
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message