Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oleo Strut Overhaul C182

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know is there someone in Europe, close to UK possibly that can overhaul re-chrome the strut on the C182, newer model 2000 on

The compression barrel is chipped at the bottom from the prop wash and overtime its causing the seals to leak.

I have found an Aerospace certified place that can do it, but they need tolerances from Cessna which I dont have, nor I can find online.
Looking at the parts manual which is not overly clear Cessna sells complete Fork/Strut section for around $7500…

Any help appreciated!!

Last Edited by Evo400 at 08 Jun 10:48
Evo400

Evo400 wrote:

The compression barrel is chipped at the bottom from the prop wash and overtime its causing the seals to leak.

Do you mean the hard chromed tube that rides within the seal? If so, why can’t the shop rechrome and grind to the diameter of an unworn section of the tube?

Hard chromed tube, thats it.

The Aerospace shop won’t do it as they want to certify it,and without cessna maintenance manual they are not willing to do it. And I believe Cessna wont release the specs as they want you to buy a new strut… Other then that I don’t know anyone else that would do it.

Surely there must be a shop that does this kind of things on cessnas quite regularly.

Evo400

I would do as per Silvaire: why can’t the shop rechrome and grind to the diameter of an unworn section of the tube? And if necessary do it off the books. $7500 is totally mad.

Are you sure the damage is from propwash+stones and not somebody banging a part of a tug against it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FAA AC43.13-1B. Chapter 6 Section 12 says “The removed component can be restored to serviceable condition by having the old plating completely stripped and replated in accordance with acceptable methods and specifications” That means FAA acceptable methods and specifications. Therefore what I think you need to repair your FAA certified aircraft in compliance with FAA approved data (i.e. AC41.13-1B) is to have the replating done by a shop that uses an approved aircraft related hard chrome plating specification. That makes sure the part isn’t embrittled by the plating process, the plating is thick enough etc. I’m not sure how specific it needs to be for any given part but I’m sure nothing from Cessna should be necessary given that the finished diameter can be measured directly off the part.

You might find this thread to be of interest.

Plenty of shops are out there doing it according to some acceptable spec: These guys advertise use of an approved spec they own, written by an FAA Designated Engineering Representative. You can bet nobody is paying Cessna $7500 for a new part, people have been working the maintenance issues on tri-gear Cessnas since 1956.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jun 23:17

I would recommend you to contact Rob of ROBAIR REPAIR LLC @ [email protected]

JF
CZ

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Evo400
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message