Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 - The Gap Between Hardware and Documentation

Yes with an HSI you should set the course you want to fly not the radial. So OBS with a CRS of 090 degrees will fly you east whether inbound or outbound.

That is my understanding anyway.

EGTK Oxford

This is an autopilot question, nothing to do with the G1000 or 430 per se? Do you mean GFC700? Or am I missing the point?

Well there is no such thing as G1000, it is all the component parts. You are right it is really an AP function, it is so tightly integrated you might as well call it a G1000 issue.

EGTK Oxford

OK but there is G1000 with King KAP150 (DA42), there is G1000 with GFC700 (various), there is G1000 sim software with sim autopilot, and there is GNS430 with KAP150, KFC 225, STEC 55, or GNS 430 sim autopilot, big difference no?

I’m not even sure, when a typical pilot gets the “WTF is it doing” moment, if they understand whether it’s an AP issue or an EFIS issue? But I think the distinction is important.

DMEarc wrote:

Not in the G1000 sim (Flight1Tech) but works in GNS430W sim (Garmin). Just to confirm, flying east away from VOR (selected by GPS+OBS, not VLOC), course pointer set to 090 – press AP and it should continue on track?

You need to press first AP then NAV, but yes, then it should continue on track. I’ve tried this in Garmin’s own G1000 sim and it works as expected. The simulated GFC700 A/P both intercepts and tracks the pseudo-radial outbound from the waypoint.

I could be a bug in the Flight1Tech simulator.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes with an HSI you should set the course you want to fly not the radial. So OBS with a CRS of 090 degrees will fly you east whether inbound or outbound.

That’s true for a classical HSI, which is intended to work as a “command instrument” i.e. if the deviation bar moves to the left, you need to adjust your heading to the left (reduce the heading value) to track it.

The course pointer is always set to the track you want to fly, which is equal to the heading plus or minus a bit for the wind.

The autopilot should then track that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message