Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA, and running Items on Condition

achimha wrote:

I know nothing about that particular annual, only what was discussed on this forum. So no allegations of any sort.

Thank-you Achimha for clarifying.

As pointed out in the linked thread, the IA is NOT always the “Bad Guy” (as alot of this thread seems to suggest), and in that particular case, my “Inspection” saved the Euro GA contributor from a pricey cylinder change !

( Yes, Achimha, my dck IS bigger too, or at least that’s what I’d like to think. )

Last Edited by Michael at 14 Sep 11:13
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael, obviously a chord has been struck, and sorry, this thread was never intended to bash the I/A fraternity. The thread was started regarding running items on condition. You came back immediately with some smart ass and barbed comments. These were ignored, however, when the subject of costing, price and transparency on annual charges.is raised, you go on the defensive. Not quite as aggressive now, all hurt and it was nothing to do with me attitude?

Here was me thinking that your approach was one that I may have worked with……

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 14 Sep 15:59
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

achimha wrote:

There’s always room for disagreement between an aircraft owner and the one having the government authority to decide about airworthiness.

There is always room for disagreement between two parties, but communication, no surprises, and don’t perform repairs before there is a quote and and agreement between the IA and the customer work best. Not every job can be flat rated, some are time and materials, but these should also have an agreed limit. The IA can decide on what in their opinion is a defect and constitutes airworthiness, but they are obligated provide a list of discrepancies and airworthy or not, and must make the appropriate inspection permanent record entry. It is the owner’s responsibility to approve any maintenance and who performs the maintenance, so the owner has direct control over the restoration of an annual signed off as unairworthy by an IA. They will need to have a mechanic sign off any of the discrepancies for which maintenance is subsequently performed and the owner can sign off any preventive maintenance they perform. I would not allow an entry to be made in the log books I did not agree to, so if the IA listed a discrepancy for which the FAA does not demand, I would simply defer it as not required by FAR and not make any entry what so ever.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 14 Sep 18:23
KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

of an annual signed off as unairworthy by an IA

I would claim that an IA does not sign off anything as “unairworthy” and in fact doesn’t have any authority to make such an entry. The IA should be documenting that an inspection was performed, along with a list of discrepancies. He can decide to not sign off the aircraft as airworthy for return to service, but this does not need to be and should not be written in the inspection record. Without a return to service as airworthy statement, the aircraft cannot be flown without a flight permit. There is nothing to prevent the owner/operator from getting another IA to come and take a different position and sign off the aircraft as airworthy and approve return to service without there ever being any comment or note of any kind in the record regarding “unairworthniness”.

Mike Busch has written a lot about this in his articles.

Last Edited by chflyer at 14 Sep 18:39
LSZK, Switzerland

BeechBaby wrote:

You came back immediately with some smart ass and barbed comments.

Which ones were those ?

BeechBaby wrote:

Here was me thinking that your approach was one that I may have worked with……

Is yours the one with the auto “crimps” ?

I would NEVER have worked with …

Last Edited by Michael at 14 Sep 19:10
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Am I right in understanding that if an IA won’t sign off the Annual as airworthy, he can sign it off an Unairworthy and you can then get an A&P to rectify the said discrepancies and then you are good to fly without needing an IA again?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, that’s correct. We researched that option when my props were found to be really sad in Montana during an annual. It would have been convenient to overhaul them in California where I lived instead of shipping them back & forth. The IA would have listed the props as a discrepancy but would have gotten me a ferry permit to go back home and deal with them on my own.

Last Edited by wleferrand at 14 Sep 20:26

Peter wrote:

Am I right in understanding that if an IA won’t sign off the Annual as airworthy, he can sign it off an Unairworthy and you can then get an A&P to rectify the said discrepancies and then you are good to fly without needing an IA again?

Correct. The best discussion of this that I’ve seen is here: Maintenance signoffs

Note that the list of discrepancies doesn’t need to be in the unworthy signoff itself. It can be listed on a separate piece of paper. Also, if the A&P doesn’t agree with the IA’s airworthiness judgement he can simply sign off the discrepancy as airworthy. A good example is an IA that wants to pull a cylinder due to low compression. The A&P can disagree and sign off the discrepancy and the aircraft as airworthy.

Last Edited by chflyer at 14 Sep 20:44
LSZK, Switzerland

Many thanks for that doc, chflyer. I replaced your temp link with locally stored one, so you can delete your copy. Very interesting stuff!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks chflyer. Clarifies the whole situation regarding the maintenance regimes superbly. So much so I have printed it off and stuck it into my log book…

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message