Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do I get traffic information into a GNS530 ?

EuroFlyer wrote:

Any ideas ?

I installed Avidyne TAS605 few years ago.
Seamless integration with GNS530.
No issues at all since then.

Being overflown by a formation of three military jets descending from 12 to 6 o’clock

Traffic pattern traffic

LGMG Megara, Greece

That looks good.. what did it cost incl. installation… I guess about 10 or 11k EUR ?
The unit sells at just below 10k

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 24 Nov 11:25
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Any ideas ?

Don’t forget the L3 Lynx NGT 9000+.
No personal experience but it looks good on paper (active traffic, ADS-B in, ADS-B out). I’ve only read good PIREP about it.
I think they even have an EASA AML STC.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 24 Nov 11:59

I linked to the Lynx in post #4 … Looks great but few if any European firms have done that installation. I wonder why.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

Peter wrote:
I flew with a Flarm receiver for months around the UK and didn’t pick up a single target.
Probably something wrong with your setup.

I would also say that it’s probably due to some kind of antenna related problem. Flarm is very low power transmitter, therefore adequate antenna installation is critical to get any sensible detection range. You might want to have a look here to see flarm targets in you vicinity

achimha wrote:

In some countries, it is even legally prescribed.

True, and shocking at the same time. I remember, it was maybe 10 years ago, how one of flarm distributors persuaded a local glider association to mandate use of flarm during competitions. In spite of obvious conflict of interest he got what he wanted.

Last Edited by Robin_253 at 24 Nov 12:48

Can you connect Flarm to a GNS530?

Administrator

not sure about GNS, TRX1500A can connect to GTN though. Jesse would know all the details

Flarm as part of TRX1500A interfaces with GNS/GTN/G1000. If you want to panel mount Flarm, TRX1500A is the more adequate solution anyway.

Peter wrote:

FWIW I flew with a Flarm receiver for months around the UK and didn’t pick up a single target.

I assume you used a portable unit? I tried a portable PowerFLARM unit for an hour with both mode C and FLARM equipped aircraft nearby. It was completely worthless both for picking up mode C and FLARM targets. You had to be really really close (less than 1 mile) before anything showed on the display. The aircraft attitude made a big difference, so I suspect that the metal airframe was simply shielding the signals.

My conclusion was that if you have a metal aircraft you have to use proper antennas on the outside of the aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My conclusion was that if you have a metal aircraft you have to use proper antennas on the outside of the aircraft.

Sure, and the same would apply to the radiating half of the system. Yet most Flarm radiators are also using portable units – the typical use is glider-on-glider proximity warnings and you need those to work only in very close proximity. There is not likely to be much interest in radiating strong signals, and even less interest in radiating signals which could be picked up with amateur land stations and fed into a website database

Flarm as part of TRX1500A interfaces with GNS/GTN/G1000

The TRX-1500A gives you two sources of traffic info which almost nobody in GA is radiating: Flarm and ADS-B.

But it doesn’t give you the one which by far the majority (of radiating aircraft) is radiating: Mode A/C with azimuth info. They are radiating it not because they want to (most low level cruising GA – the ones most likely to hit you – doesn’t want to be visible at all) but because it comes from a transponder which is a commonly installed device in GA, which is pretty well required by ATC in many/most airspaces, and which doesn’t get disabled or turned off unless the pilot (or the owner of the plane) has a strong reason to hide, or to avoid paying for an altitude encoder.

Can you connect the TRX and an active TAS unit to a GNS box and have both showing? Obviously they would not be merged

Administrator
Sign in to add your message