Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne's TAS6xx ADS-B IN delays

The problem is that the ADS-B update doesn’t actually exist.

From their data sheet:

This is from my TAS installation writeup, c. 2012

We have many past threads but this post says it should be available for 5k in March 2016. The 5k includes upgrading a non-“A” TAS605 to an “A” one, which AFAIK is a whole new PCB. But that is essentially the route. There used to be a “voucher” which entitled you to have it for 2k but I don’t recall the details. Perhaps Pimothy can post a pic of the voucher. That thread has some useful info including posts from Avidyne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Back to the original question…

While it may seem that going after a company’s reputation is a bit, umm, vindictive, it is unfortunately the way things go.

We see time and time again that an individual fighting a company, say for a refund, compensation etc. gets nowhere writing letters and going to court, when a tweet that then makes it into the press, somebody from a newspaper looking into it, or it being on some radio programme gets the issue resolved immediately… for that one person, while the rest still have the same problem.

This seems to work well for big companies who have the resources but either don’t care (most of them, cutting their after-sales back to the bone) or are taking the p!ss (because it is part of their business model).

I am not sure that helps with Avidyne, since as said above, they probably would if they could, but can’t.

Or in other words – beating up the bully works, beating up the inept doesn’t.

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Perhaps Pimothy can post a pic of the voucher.

Cobalt wrote:

beating up the bully works, beating up the inept doesn’t.

But it’s a service either way to keep people informed. I don’t know whether “Don’t buy from Avidyne because they are liars, cheats and bullies” or “Don’t buy from Avidyne because they are inept” has more impact on the would be purchaser, but they are both pretty damning.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

While it may seem that going after a company’s reputation is a bit, umm, vindictive, it is unfortunately the way things go.

Vindictive? Really? So taking money but not providing the goods for it is, in your mind, ethical, is it? If a company is being unethical, they deserve everything they get. The more people who avoid them, the better. Maybe then they won’t make promises they can’t keep / take money under false pretences….

EDL*, Germany

Does anyone know the dates (from and to) during which that voucher was available?

Administrator

…and you have that authorization code, of course ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Looks like it only needs the embossed seal to be valid – which it appears to have.

Rochester EGTO

EuroFlyer wrote:

…and you have that authorization code, of course ?

I certainly got it in 2014; whether I can still find it, I don’t know. It doesn’t bother me, because I consider that bit of paper junk anyway.

In the unlikely event of their ever being in a position to redeem their promise, I am confident they will, because it must cost them more to keep pissing me of than not to!

Edit: Actually, I seem to remember that one didn’t register until the product was ready.

Last Edited by Timothy at 18 Jan 14:04
EGKB Biggin Hill

Does anyone know during which time these vouchers were available? I am really interested whether I should have got one. I vaguely recall looking into this before but don’t remember the outcome (if there was one).

Administrator

I certainly don’t know, but my best guess would be Summer 2014 to Summer 2015.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message