Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

That is an astonishing con trick, in that case.

Why am I not surprised, from Avidyne?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Any news on the cost and availability of the ADS-B upgrade for a TAS605 box installed Jan 2013?

Is the ADS-B data received via the existing antenna(e) of the TAS605? IOW, this is a firmware upgrade only?"

We’ve been told the upgrade should be available from June and has a retail price of US$5000. I’m sure your preferred dealer will better this for you. It is just an internal upgrade – no additional antennas required.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Is there another way around this (to merge Mode C/S and ADS-B traffic data)?

We have had multiple threads on a GDL88 solution, which contains an ADS-B receiver (?? – doesn’t this need an extra antenna?) and merges the ADS-B data with what comes out of the TAS605, and outputs the merged data to the “MFD”.

So that would not involve Avidyne at all.

Currently I display traffic on 2 x Sandel 3500 and KMD550 (with the ARINC429 interface card); would the GDL88 drive those?

$5k is quite a lot (especially for software!) so it’s worth looking at other options.

Apparently a GTX345 can do the same job too. I have a GTX330 right now (installed in 2005) which obviously has an antenna already. On the 330 I have auto AIR/GND switching, done from a diff pressure switch. But can the 345 drive my present traffic display devices?

Eventually I plan to go to a GTN650+750 or 2×IFD540 so whatever I do has to be compatible with those, too.

Administrator

Peter,

Decide which GPS system you are going to install before you add the GTX 345. If you go the GTN route, then consider the GTX. If you go the Avidyne route, not so much.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

$5k is quite a lot (especially for software!)

It is not only software! The hardware needs to be the A model, before the software update can be done.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Can one tell what model would it be if it went in in Jan 2013?

Decide which GPS system you are going to install before you add the GTX 345. If you go the GTN route, then consider the GTX. If you go the Avidyne route, not so much.

It’s tricky. I won’t do anything on the GPS until Shoreham gets LPV. Until then, LPV has nil operational significance to me.

And there is no way I can install the IFD boxes at present; too many problems being reported. Clearly with Avidyne one needs to be way behind the curve.

In any event I would be looking at best part of 30k to do a neat upgrade. That’s not a small amount of money and since I fly all the time I need to be sure there won’t be issues. Most issues in avionics are firmly in the “fait accompli” category because when it’s done there is no going back.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can one tell what model would it be if it went in in Jan 2013?

For TAS system? A non A version for sure. The recently started shipping the A versions

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks Jesse. Does that mean that upgrading mine would cost more than $5000?

Administrator

Peter

The price I quoted earlier was for converting a basic TAS605 to a 605A with ADS-B so this will cover your unit.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

Does that mean that upgrading mine would cost more than $5000?

Yes. Unless you had registered for the update, it then was anticipated at $2000 :-S

Do Avidyne TAS600 series of traffic systems support ADS-B?

Avidyne is currently developing an ADS-B In upgrade to the TAS600 series of traffic systems. Ryan 9900BX, TAS600, TAS610, and TAS620 owners can lock in a $2,000 upgrade price for ADS-B In simply by registering at http://www.avidyne.com/landing/tas600-adsb.asp.
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message