Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

High EGT after cylinder replacement

Placido – it is unfortunately a common issue in aircraft ownership that the owner needs to be one of:

• technically adept and do his/her own maintenance (not possible, or not fully possible, on most certified aircraft)
  • technically adept and get a company to do the work and get involved in what they are doing (it’s basically what I do except that being N-reg I can use a freelance A&P/IA, and my main problem is finding a hangar where one has permission to work)
  • wangle a friend to do the work (widespread method in syndicates, and usually ends in tears because the person doing it will be looking for some payback, eventually)
  • be one of the lucky ones whose maintenance company is good and trustworthy (then you don’t need to get involved)

otherwise the owner gets screwed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter forgot two other popular options

• buy a factory new aircraft, and sell it the day before the warranty expires
  • give the maintenance organisation your cheque book or account details
Biggin Hill

buy a factory new aircraft, and sell it the day before the warranty expires

It still needs maintenance during the warranty

give the maintenance organisation your cheque book or account details

That won’t assure good quality work It will merely assure large bills.

This stuff is just like all the other stuff which “we” have to deal with in our lives e.g. property maintenance. If you get a builder in and go off on holiday while they are working, you know the result……..

Administrator

In my experience, even good mechanics have no idea how to interpret the output of an engine analyser. So it’s a combination of your confidence in the interpretation, and how convincing you can be with your shop.

EGTF, LFTF

I do have an engine analyzer, a G2, but it wasn‘t of any help to them it seems.

LSZH

Two items I recommend to aircraft owners (with skin in the game):

The APS online course (the live course is not available right now), this course will learn you how to ‘read’ the engine analyser and help enormously with troubleshooting.
The new engine book by Mike Busch: ‘Mike Busch on Engines’, written in a conversational style, it is not a dry theory handbook but very practical.

EBKT

Placido, perhaps https://www.savvyaviation.com/savvyaviation-home/savvy-services/savvyqa/ is a good idea. From friends I talked to, and from my own experience during my first year of ownership, Savvy has a very systematic approach to troubleshooting, especially with engines. They are of not much value for TB20/21 airframe and avionics issues, though fantastic if you own a Cirrus, I was told. But as you know, the Socata type club covers the airframe and avionics areas extremely well. With 1000 piston planes in their program, they have substantial real world troubleshooting experience. I used them only for one year, because I was totally new to ownership and needed someone to look over my shoulders. $375 per year is a steal IMHO and I would have kept them if Socata type club would not have been so good, and I acquired enough engine knowledge in the meantime.

Last Edited by Lucius at 19 Aug 23:44
United States

Hi Lucius, my experience has been mixed with Socata.org I have a feeling that not everybody is being looked after in the same way.

LSZH

We have put about 8 hours on the exchanged cylinder and the CHT on this cylinder climbs to 420-430 almost immediately during climb. In cruise it settles below 400. This is not the first cylinder I change but the first one to show such high readings. Of course, it needs to be seated and runs hotter than the others but somehow I don‘t feel at ease with this yellow bar staring at me on the G2.

And we haven‘t climbed to the FLs yet, just 9k. I really hope it will settle.

LSZH

The feedback I get continually is that the level of support for non US pilots on socata.org is dropping. The site is dominated by a handful of Americans; the Europeans who used to be there (I was there 2002-2008) have mostly left.

The temps of 420-430F are on which cylinder? I have tended to find #3 and #6 are the hottest. It is a bit high. Keep an eye on it. It should be dropping a bit on every flight you do.

At FL100, OAT +10C (yes ISA+15) I saw 375F the other day. The CHT scales with OAT so if the OAT was -5C (ISA) the CHT would have been about 340-350F. I had 335F on the coolest one.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message