Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TCM SB643C and Dual Mags

Hello,

The TCM SB 643B which requires magnetos overhaul every 4 years, has been replaced by a new version : CMI (former TCM) SB 643C, which does not affect the D2000/D3000 dual magnetos anymore.
So the only maintenance schedule document for these mags is the Service Support Manual X42003-3 which asks for “Inspect magnetos and harnesses for airworthiness at the expiration of four years” in its chapter 2-3.
Should I understand that under EASA, no need anymore to overhaul every 4 years or did I miss something?
If yes, what is an “inspection for airworthiness”?

Thank you
Thomas

LFPE

The thing to consider, rather than the legal position, is that if this thing fails, your engine stops totally.

There is a view that a visual inspection, repair/replacing parts as necessary (IRAN) is fine, and that’s probably right.

I would think that an “inspection for airworthiness” is an inspection IAW the MM for the part.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The thing to consider, rather than the legal position, is that if this thing fails, your engine stops totally.

Yes I perfectly agree with you. But I need to know what is the minimum legal for Maintenance Program purposes.

Peter wrote:

There is a view that a visual inspection, repair/replacing parts as necessary (IRAN) is fine, and that’s probably right.

Do you personally OH every 4 years?

Peter wrote:

I would think that an “inspection for airworthiness” is an inspection IAW the MM for the part.

Not very clear to me. There are 100h, 500h inspections but not 4 years inspections in the MM.

Why did CMI(TCM) removed the dual mags from its SB643?

Thank you,
Thomas

Last Edited by TomTom at 04 Jun 16:58
LFPE

I don’t know about the rest but I overhaul (or IRAN) every 500hrs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message