Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting rid of the vacuum pump , and Garmin G5

Peter wrote:

The reviewer (Bike magazine) rode it up the M1 and documented which parts fell off at which distance, due to being shaken and vibrated. By the time he reached the northern end, all four footrests and both mirrors had fallen off, IIRC. The rider also had no fingers left. It was built for cafe cruising…

I vagurely remember reading some review of sex toys, which awarded Harley the first place among vibrators in terms of girl’s satisfaction. On the subject of GA, we have a Czech single-seater with a Japanese twin-cylinder HKS 700E in our maintenance hangar; the airframe designer asked us for help with keeping the engine in one piece. In the original configuration, the exhausts together with the silencer kept falling off. The first solution proposed was to use bellows instead of pipes, though AFAIK we haven’t tested it yet.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 18 Dec 21:00
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

By9468840 wrote:

If your installation satisfies this, there is no additional requirement to do any IFR paperwork for removing vacuum pump.

Thanks for the reference. I have read that but having a hard time interpreting the same way as you do. But I would be happy if that was it. :)
Dan wrote:

As stated by By9468840, the STC should cover it all… and don’t forget to order that vacuum pump pad cover and gasket

The cover and gasket is already in the shopping cart at Spruce. :)
Mooney_Driver wrote:

Do you really want to get rid of vaccum?

I understand that there are both pros and cons regarding this. I would be nice to relieve the aircraft from equipment. I am not overly concerned with weight since this aircraft is not often fully loaded anyway. I have not heard much about the G5 failing in flight but I haven’t really been looking for it either. I have read more about vacuum pumps failing, just like this thread was started in 2018.
We could put the classic AI somewhere else for a while until we have built enough confidence in the G5s to remove the rest of it. We will hopefully add more new avionics in the coming years so we have plenty of opportunities to get behind the panel.
172driver wrote:

the takeaways are:

Great tips, thanks a lot!

@Ultranomad, did you install your G5s? Can you tell me a little more about your experience so far?

Last Edited by Fly310 at 18 Dec 21:58
ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310, unfortunately not yet, in recent months I’ve seen hardly anything but emergencies and tight deadlines…

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There is another factor which affects reporting of issues, and I’ve often mentioned it before: if the item is under warranty, nothing will be openly mentioned. Sometimes I hear privately, but authorisation to post it here is nearly always refused, due to the need to maintain the dealer relationship.

Once your relationship with the dealer is finished (e.g. they went bust, you have “split up” with them big-time, you no longer own that plane, etc) then some will go public, but even then few will go public because they want a hassle-free sale of the plane later

So, obviously, issues with modern avionics will rarely get reported openly.

We’ve had a number of wonderful cases here

Then, you get different failure mechanisms. Mech stuff tends to fail due to, ahem, mech things (e.g. fatigue), but electronic stuff fails due to very different things e.g. moisture (hangarage and location make a big difference there; Arizona is pretty good), transient overvoltage, and the biggest killer of electronics is thermal cycling (the main reason for Aspen EFD problems, due to their AHRS temp stabilisation heating up the whole unit; all written about previously) and this can be really hard to address.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

unfortunately not yet

Sorry to hear that!

ESSZ, Sweden

I do think dual G5s are great but for IMC some autonomous attitude backup (ATT source + Foreflight) can’t hurt?!

There’s a thread over on Beechtalk where a few of the guys in the thread say that their G5 attitude failed while in turbulence, obviously this would be troubling in IMC

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g5-failure-anyone-i-just-did.110226/

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

There’s a thread over on Beechtalk where a few of the guys in the thread say that their G5 attitude failed while in turbulence, obviously this would be troubling in IMC

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g5-failure-anyone-i-just-did.110226/

Our C182 logs round 300 hours per year and other than some initial snags (mostly / all down to the install) no issues have been reported. I don’t know if anyone flew it in really severe turbulence, the worst I had in this airplane I’d call moderate and nothing went amiss.

Of course software and electronics can fail. Since I got out of bed an hour ago, I fixed a very subtle bug in the project I am working on, which could have seriously bitten us on the bum years after the product is released. And I won’t stop to tell you about the product I did in 1983, sold a few thousand of, and 100% of them would crash in 2012 (because I implemented the “day of week” algorithm to work for just 29 years, which is the calendar repetition cycle) I left the company in 1991 and they went bust in 1993, so nobody was around to face the music…

And people fit 2x G5 thinking they get 2x the redundancy…

Remember that if you have a Garmin GFC autopilot, the software for that is also running inside the G5 box; the “GFC” is just a control panel for that.

Reading that US site it sounds like when the G5 crashed it de-initialised their AHRS also, which is to be expected given that everything is prob99 running on the same chip and under an RTOS, which is how most people would do it (it is what I am doing right now). The problem is that an AHRS won’t re-align in flight except in very smooth conditions; I have found the Sandel SG102 (which is probably better than anything out of Garmin – and is used in military aircraft and helis) will re-align but takes a few mins, during which it is quite jumpy, largely because while one can fly “smoothly” in smooth air, one can’t fly an accurate heading on the liquid compass, and a heading is “yaw” and thus is a part of the AHRS solution.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fly310 wrote:

I have read that but having a hard time interpreting the same way as you do. But I would be happy if that was it. :)

If it’s any help, I interpret it in the same way as By9468840 does – and so does our mutual friend in ESSU.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Airborne_Again, thanks a lot for your inputs! Especially regarding those from ESSU.

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message