Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

If you connect to a Garmin GLO, you probably are up in the 99.99%s

EGKB Biggin Hill

FWIW, in my TB20, an Ipad2 would lose GPS routinely, and a GNS2000 GPS never picked up EGNOS…

But yes the basic point is that to fly a plane accurately enough you can do it with some pretty cheap kit. You won’t get autopilot coupling though so – like my yoke mounted Aera 660 – this is for dire emergency use only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who wants to bet that a samsung tablet I bought in 2012 and the extra waas/sbas antena will perform better than many of those certfied non-waas G430?

I flew with both and I know which one to use for navigation accuracy and for screen size…if one plans to fly with 1200ft cloud base enroute & approach the problems are heating, battery and wifi rather than integrity & monitoring of gnss constellation/signal at 100ft agl in tick fog

I guess it is a matter of time to see consumer IPads with in-built wass (as it has been done for baro pressure & gyros)

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Dec 23:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve never known my yoke mounted Nexus 7 ever to lose GPS signal.

Ibra wrote:

I guess it is a matter of time to see consumer IPads with in-built wass

From here:
“Aviation Integrity SBAS and RAIM enabled TSO-C199 GPS provides position data for ADS-B Out transmissions.”

ESME, ESMS

RAIM needs a baro input from the aircraft’s pressure altitude encoder.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But surely once you have SBAS you don’t need to worry about RAIM?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

I have never heard that and I don’t see any technical reason why. Do you have a source?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Neil wrote:

If you have SBAS GPS and you’re receiving an augmentation satellite, then RAIM is not relevant.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Indeed, but I was questioning the whole claim by pointing out that there is no (practical) way to baro-aid a tablet product.

Do you have a source?

It is standard in RAIM-capable IFR GPSs to have pressure altitude input.

Whether this is the only way to achieve RAIM I don’t know.

I also don’t see any practical way to produce a certified (SIL=3) ADS-B OUT device which is portable. However we did this in other, ADS-B, threads

Administrator
Sign in to add your message