Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meetups in the winter

It is pretty obvious that most people fly far fewer hours, because the weather across Europe is so much worse during these several months.

So more effort needs to be made

A different structure is needed, because longer distances are harder to fly. One needs to do more localised meetups.

Any ideas?

I think we need to do more short and easy ones like e.g. Le Touquet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think we need to do more short and easy ones like e.g. Le Touquet.

Yes, short and easy, only 833 NM direct course over the most inhospitable areas of Europe during that time (North Sea and Norwegian mountains) Realistically more than 1000 NM and with at least 3 stops on the way

It’s a bit funny, areas and distances. I recently wrote an article about local flying, sort of a “how to” for locals since we have lots of varied places to go with different aspects to consider. The area I (and most of us here) would define as local, the middle part of Norway/Sweden, about 200k square km, is in fact twice as large as Iceland The Entire UK is only 240k square km.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Yes, short and easy, only 833 NM direct course over the most inhospitable areas of Europe during that time (North Sea and Norwegian mountains) Realistically more than 1000 NM and with at least 3 stops on the way

Yep. That’s the reason I very seldom show up on EuroGA fly-ins. Just leaving Sweden in the direction of most fly-ins takes three hours!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

short and easy, only 833 NM direct course over the most inhospitable areas of Europe during that time (North Sea and Norwegian mountains) Realistically more than 1000 NM and with at least 3 stops on the way

Obviously nobody was suggesting LFAT is near ENVA, so that comment merely shoots the poster in the foot

A_A – you did once come to the dinner at EDNY, at the aeroclub That shows the value of Aero – people go there from all over the place.

Administrator

I wanna have a meet up at Schwabish Halle and enjoy a beautiful German old town with some pugs knuckle. We will find some lettuce leaves for Peter.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A_A – you did once come to the dinner at EDNY, at the aeroclub That shows the value of Aero – people go there from all over the place.

I’ve been to the Felders dinner at least twice.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Obviously, my point was that when the wx is bad a lot of the time, people need to focus on doing more focused meetups – instead of sitting at home.

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

I recently wrote an article about local flying, sort of a “how to” for locals since we have lots of varied places to go with different aspects to consider.

Where is that article? I would be interested in reading it…

ENVA, Norway

I would be in for Le Touquet (I’m obviously a lot closer than Norway or Sweden ^^).
I still need a PPL though, so not before January (and longer if borders / seas need to be crossed, for lack of experience).

I think Peter’s idea of local meetups would be more suitably another local meet-up in Norway-Sweden (and not fly hours above the North Sea). But Le Touquet is semi-accessible for a good part of Central Europe (apart from obvious France and UK, it’s not far from Belgium and Germany, and can possibly be done from northern Italy or Spain in less than a day). There could also be another one in Austria (for Croatia, Poland, Germany etc.).

Last Edited by maxbc at 18 Dec 13:24
France

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

Where is that article? I would be interested in reading it…

If was for NLF. I don’t know if they will do anything particular with it, but I can send it to you directly.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message