Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MEP on DA42 report

Yes, I know it “all” and have been flying the Seneca 2 as well with this panel light issue. Been told many times as well during training. Still, I think it is a design issue and somehow could not get it at that one critical moment. In any case, I landed safe and will never ever forget it again.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 04 Sep 08:22
EDLE, Netherlands

@jujupilote

Live shutdowns are not mandatory on test anymore and can be done for training and test in an approved sim as part of an approved course. I think this was driven by ATOs and manufacturer recommendations not to do live OEI – I vaguely recall the DA42 had(has?) such a recommendation. Shame really, I did one in the Duchess only a few months ago on my revalidation test.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Thanks for the info Balliol.

Video of a very thorough flight review in a DA42, including a engine out, restart and approach on one engine (in California) :

No, the video is the right one :) See around 11 minutes for the engine out.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 04 Sep 09:49
LFOU, France

Balliol wrote:

I vaguely recall the DA42 had(has?) such a recommendation

I don’t recall seeing any on the POH (and certainly did a shutdown/restart during training)

I’ve been told alternate air is required in the DA42 POH in icing conditions. Someone here posted a few years ago that he got a double engine failure in -15C (at a high altitude I think) and the engine restarted when he got down to a few thousand feet. The mechanism is probably the same as the TB20 one which gets a stoppage at -15C also. Neither involved the use of alt air.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the DA42 AFM:

I was told for fuel injected engines to not worry about alt air and use it the same way as carb heats: infrequently pull it in normal flights and permanently pull it when flying in cold/humid air, this seems to be consistent with POHs

AeroPlus wrote:

Yes, I know it “all” and have been flying the Seneca 2 as well with this panel light issue

Same on Arrows, the green lights switches completely off when light panel is on, the latter is difficult to see/diagnostic during a good VFR day (you go for “gear troubleshooting” page, and on step 4 you get a reminder of what you already know and feel bellow )

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Sep 10:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The DA42 has to be re started within two minutes if you demonstrate a shut down airborne.

Some national regulators (eg Poland) still require a full shutdown and re start as part of the MEP course, but not necessarily the check ride.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Engine shutdown was only demostrated in the sim and was avoided at all cost (only touch the controls with extended fingers!) during actual flight.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Ibra wrote:

Same on Arrows, the green lights switches completely off when light panel is on

They don’t (if they did, you would never get a gear down indication when landing at night), but they dim enough to not be visible in daylight.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message