Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

METAR and TAF by SMS using an Iridium Go

I don’t know what AR uses but I doubt it is the old way (a Nokia 6310i connected to a serial port with a DLR3P cable ) since the AR runs on a virtual server. Prob99 it uses a commercial SMS delivery service.

If I was doing it I would literally use the old Nokia, with a Vodafone contract SIM (you can get them for £8/m) off a laptop, and arrange the server to send a message to the laptop (the laptop could poll the server every 30s, etc) with the SMS to transmit. Then you have almost total control. But it will cost more than €0.07 I think. There is no free lunch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Prob99 it uses a commercial SMS delivery service.

There are commercial SMS delivery services that have wast network of different alternative paths, connections to different operators, optimizing routes across timezones for reaching lower cost and that’s by far cheaper and more reliable than the old Nokia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

MichaLSA wrote:

Isn’t the https://www.autorouter.aero able to spit out SMS with these data on any number?

Do you mean the autorouter bot in Telegram? The web site has never, as far as I know, transmitted TAF/METAR. In any case, as mentioned in the autorouter updates thread, it has dropped the SMS service for FPL notifications in July.

Last Edited by chflyer at 24 Aug 17:03
LSZK, Switzerland
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message