Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Minimal aircraft for flying straight over the Alps, VFR

I have been over both the northen Berner Alps and the Southern main Alps several times in an old J3 cub, but fitted at some point with a Rolls Royce 100 hp engine. Admitttedly this was at about 11,000 ft for the former range and about 8,000 for the latter (Simplon Pass). Just got to pick your day.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

my 2ct… one can cross the Alps in a glider, been done a zillion times. Good playing cards for a powered aircraft is to be light and amply powered, characteristics unfortunately rare in spam cans… Super cub or such?

Used to own a SIPA 903, and same as for the 90hp J-3, those can be coerced to 10K+. Not everyday, and a lot of it comes down to flying technique, such as an early climb, use of any anabatic wind, flying on the exposed side of valleys on a sunny day, and way more. Which doesn’t mean it is safe to do so. Each and every year aircraft and their occupants are lost in the Alps, usually thru misjudging one’s or the craft’s ability.

Now in CHE alpine flying is (hopefully still is…) part of the PPL syllabus, and quite some time is spent learning the tricks. Unfortunately even locals can sometimes misjudge things such as downdrafts, cloud formation, pass clearance and such.
Made a major mistake in a Jodel D11 (-18 for the French) many moons ago, lucky to be around, learned from that, but still learning everyday I’m out there… which is most of the time.

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

IFR I’d say you need a reliable attainable altitude of about 17000 ft.

Some of you will recall that we had a EuroGA Fly Out to Venice – which sadly, although enjoyable for those who arrived, it was for most a ‘wash out’ as the field had received more rain that the locals could ever recall which caused most people to be ‘no shows’.
I wrote the attached article to encourage others – and as an aide memoire for newer pilots. I hope it might still be of use to EuroGA readers.

Over_The_Alps_account_pdf

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I did a lot of mountain flying in the western USA hundred years ago and remember well one day when it was too windy to fly through valleys – so we climbed to 13 000 ft to cross the highest tips with our c150 in full weight. That climb did take some minutes, but it is possible.

EFFO EFHV, Finland

Well, having “grown up” at Altenrhein on Cessna 150’s, of which I later owned one for a while, I can honestly say that it was never a performance problem even with that 100hp 2 seater to cross the Alps VFR, if the weather was decent. The difference today with the M20C is that with the Mooney I do have the power to simply climb over the mountains if I don’t want to follow the passes. I mostly still follow the pass routes when possible, not least as most of them are also the best way to get help if you actually have to get down fast.

The highest I’ve been with the M20 was at 17000 ft with an OAT of 0 degrees, which corresponds to a DA of 22000 ft. This was at MTOW – about 5 USG which we burnt up to then. We do carry a bottle with a mountain high distributor and 2 cannulas, but that will now have to be exchanged for one with 4 as there may be 3 of us.

The highest I recall having been in the 150 was 13000 ft but it took forever.

I’ve been in a PA28 (ArcherII) at around 15000 ft on an alpine sight seeing flight. No problem either if you have enough distance. Same engine but fixed prop.

I’d say from 180 hp on overflying the Alps rather than flying through them is a real option. The rest rather through them. I am aware though that there are types even with 180 hp which have a low service ceiling, I believe the Grumman Tiger is one of them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Easy. Pipistrel Alphatrainer, ceiling MTOW at 18,000 feet. Catch a wave, and you can go up to 40k Seriously, it’s made for flying the Alps it seems. The 100 hp Virus SW is about the same I think, but the Virus/Sinus motorgliders do 28k

I think you will have a hard time finding something more minimal than the Alphatrainer though doing 18k, and that isn’t a motorglider.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

SF25C Faulke, FL120-FL140 it’s way cheaper than SF50 and more capable in the Valleys !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“it was too windy to fly through valleys – so we climbed to 13 000 ft to cross the highest tips with our c150 in full weight.”

That would frighten me. Downdrafts, and out of the valley not accurately predictable. I’d want many thousands of feet clearance above the peaks for that.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

You do have to pick good wx for VFR crossings, including light winds.

I can’t remember the old guide for how high you need to be but it is something like 1000ft for every 10kt of wind, to keep downdraughts below 500fpm.

On Friday when I crossed the Matterhorn summit, FL160 so about 1500ft above it, I had to go to full power as the IAS dropped quickly from ~110kt to 80kt, so probably a 500ft downdraught, and the wind was about 25kt.

On most Alps crossings I feel practically zero turbulence and I don’t do them all that high. I just aim to be above any cloud nowadays and that needs a high performance plane, especially when it is ISA plus “lots” e.g. -6C at FL160…

I think a high performance plane is more important than going IFR – if you had to choose one of those two. But not everybody can afford one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

IFR I’d say you need a reliable attainable altitude of about 17000 ft. While there are routes which have a MEA of less, (14000 ft AMSL to cross the Gotthard) with 17000 ft you will not get limited too much.

Honestly, with a bit of negotiating FL130 should do for most crossing Italy/France, they will not ‘’like it’’ but when insisting they will ’’allow’’ it when working under your own separation. Is it smart to do it on a day with IMC conditions. No, but IFR (on top) it can definitely been done.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message