Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Minimal aircraft for flying straight over the Alps, VFR

arj1 wrote:

Four seats in our school, no baggage door.

Exactly: four seats, no baggage door. In our flying club, the Cadet is the one “money cow” which is always in the air, never made too many problems and for nearly two decades generates more income than it needs for itself. It may be flown with Mogas, which further cuts operational costs. It’s not the very most attractive plane, but I’d land it blind.

According to the chart it will go to FL140 in ISA conditions, but I tend to disagree. Maybe very light, but never at MTOW. However, regarding the initial question, there are lots of possibilities to cross the alps in FL110 or below, and even in FL70. So if it is not an accumulation of clouds on either side of the main ridge, then you can go.

On the other side: If the question “to go straight over the alps” includes in a narrow sense, that you go over any top on your course line, and including the typical safety margin of 2000 ft, then you end up at typically FL160 or more. At or close to MTOW any 180 hp machine will fail here. So in order to go at FL110 or below, you have to take a closer look at the charts, and for the main ridge will have to fly below peak.

Last Edited by UdoR at 01 Jun 08:48
Germany

The TB10 has a service ceiling of 13,000ft and I have reached it, but I was on my own although with a reasonable fuel load and on a warm day.

I am skeptical as to whether it would manage it at MTOW. Perhaps just about, with a long period of climbing at ~150fpm.

I don’t view it as an Alp-crossing machine, though I don’t doubt it is possible. I am happy to fly reasonably close to terrain or at the limit of the aircraft’s performance, but not both at the same time.

Last Edited by Graham at 01 Jun 19:26
EGLM & EGTN

Airborne_Again wrote:

Really? I must admit to never having seen one IRL, but I’ve read in several places that it only had two seats.

I can at least confirm that Cadet SE-KMH that we have in Linköping, as well as SE-KIK in Jönköping are all four-place. :)

ESSL, Sweden

Dahlbeck wrote:

I can at least confirm that Cadet SE-KMH that we have in Linköping, as well as SE-KIK in Jönköping are all four-place. :)

Obviously I (and several web sites) stand corrected!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Graham wrote:

The TB10 has a service ceiling of 13,000ft and I have reached it, but I was on my own although with a reasonable fuel load and on a warm day.

Yep, I took my old TB10 up to FL140 once, on my own, on a cold day – the not-great cabin heating gave up before I got bored of the climb…

EGEO

I’m amazed, that this discussion is almost exclusively about horsepower. My Europa will easily do FL250 with just a 115 hp Rotax 914 Turbo

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

I’m amazed, that this discussion is almost exclusively about horsepower. My Europa will easily do FL250 with just a 115 hp Rotax 914 Turbo

:))) What was the TAS?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

:))) What was the TAS?

155kt? Or what does the D100 show? The smaller Dynon shows 145 kt which looks like GS to me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

europaxs wrote:

I’m amazed, that this discussion is almost exclusively about horsepower…Turbo

Does turbo let you fly high with less HP ;) ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

155 kt TAS (the Dynon D 3 shows GPS-speed).

EDLE
Sign in to add your message