Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Minimising risk

I looked up EHEST. It is pretty complicated. Do any private helicopter pilots use it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the helicopter world we use something similar, known as EHEST. It’s actually quite good.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I find that one I linked a bit simplistic in places. For example the “must get there” option is obviously going to kill you in the wrong conditions, so you cannot use it as a part of an accumulated score for a threshold-based go/no-go decision.

I also find it somewhat patronising, but it is better than nothing if the realistic alternative is that nothing will be done. A much better way to improve safety is to train pilots to make decisions on technical data.

Administrator

MMOPA has released a similar tool this year, in the form of a (free) iOS app which can be used for any type. It has the disadvantage of covering very different airplanes, from the non-pressurised Matrix to the M600. Look up MMOPA FRAT.

EGTF, LFTF

That is a good risk barometer, some integrated flight schools require a student to compile a checklist of this nature which is reviewed by the FI. The go/no go is escalated depending on the risk score, including the FI having to escalate to the Duty Pilot or Head of Training above certain scores.

Flight Safety Organisation has been recommending risk scoring in their ALAR project for reducing approach and landing accidents.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Flight_Safety_Foundation_ALAR_Toolkit

I was glad to see COPA recommend an accelerate stop calculation even for a SEP.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Americans tend to mean IMC flight when they speak of IFR flight. They mostly don’t know about the European style “always fly IFR, to be done with all the hassle of VFR”. They tend to canel IFR as soon as they break out…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was just doing some admin and came across this old thread.

I thought this post is especially interesting. It is some sort of risk scoring table, apparently from Cirrus or some related body, which attempts to put a number on the risk.

Also interesting they say Night IFR is a NO GO.

Administrator

I am not against checklists, but against the elaborate checklists we are given when we do our PPL or IR training.

At least were I learned to fly (US), the checklist wasn't any longer than the one I use now. I have, however, seen some that are ridiculous!

It depends on personality, frequency of your flights amongst others how you handle the checklist usage.

I think AeroPlus has it here. If you fly (as he appears to be doing) almost daily, always in the same - your own - airplane, then you probably don't need one, although I personally think it's still a good idea to use a - short - one.

OTH, if you are like me who flies much less frequently, different types of a/c and vastly different locations, then a checklist is most definitely a 'must have'. This can also be a personalized version. For example, most of my flying has always been from airports with an ATIS. After catching myself a couple of times of not setting the altimeter at a small strip, I added 'set altimeter' in bold. Hasn't happened since....

Yes, my opinion too – it can not speak against the checklist that some pilots have no idea about their planes or how to use checklists.

I also don't think that the WHOLE checklists have to be used all the time. But I am sure that a written document (or on the MFD) creates less failures than doing all checks from memory.

I have flow my previous airplane, a very well equipped Warrior for about 1000 hours and while i did all checks from memory I always double checked on the paper Checklist (and later on an iPhone checklist) that I had not forgotten anything. This strategy paid off because in those 1000 hours I made the following mistakes:

• One time I forgot the pitot cover, but discovered on t.o. run when airspeed did not "come alove".
  • One time the phone rang just after I had finsihed refueling and somehow I didn't check the fuel cap of the let wing... found it on the runway after landing again (about 10 l were sucked out)
  • One time I did not check the top latch of the door and it popped open (Karlovy Vary) ... Chart on right seat was sucked out and I had to fly home WITHOUT a chart!

This was all, in 18 years. I think it speaks for disciplined usage of the checklist.

Another point is that I often sit next to a pilot running the checklist and then I ask them if they know what they are actually doing, e.g. checking magnetos or why certain items are on the checklist and they actually often don't know or don't have a clue and thus are just running the checklist to run the checklist and get that done with.

This is no fault of the checklist, but simply poor instruction (often "second generation" instruction because quite a few instructors themselves were never taught why the switches are required to be in certain positions at certain times...)

I am not allowed to reproduce them here, but our checklists - both at work and at the flying school - fit on a laminated sheet of A5 (approx. 1/2 US letter). It is just one tiny little extra safety net, and if it catches a forgotten altimeter setting once per year (and it certainly does!) it is worth being used.

EDDS - Stuttgart
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message