Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Monkey Business – An alternative worthwhile use of GA

An animal conservation project close to my heart is the rehabilitation of rescued Gibbons from the pet trade in Southern Thailand for eventual release in the wild at National Parks in the North, repopulating them there, where they were once indigenous, but were hunted to extinction.

I provide the transport link, avoiding a stressful 3 day road journey with a sub three hour non-stop flight.

The Jetprop is the ideal aircraft for this mission.

A kind donor commissioned custom cages to fit in the rear of the aircraft.

Full write up here.

I just completed the latest mission airlifting three hopeful families for a chance of freedom.

Gibbons are primates. One of my wittier friends commented that the Gibbons in the back were probably more qualified to fly the aircraft, than the monkey in the left seat.

E

Last Edited by eal at 17 Jul 12:11
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

A well-known resident pilot of the IOM did a line in transporting pedigree rams, he could carry three at a time in a PA32 in specially made crates.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

This is really heartwarming

Out of interest, how do the gibbons react to flying?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@eal, do you protect them against the noise in any way?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Out of interest, how do the gibbons react to flying?

I have transported around 30 adults and infants to date. Except for one inconsolable female they are great passengers. Very vocal – deafening in fact, until we take off, and then they are quiet for the remainder of the flight. We give them water if the flight is non-stop, and some of them like to play with it, often flicking it back at us.

They have a remarkable reach, so I have to be very careful as they like to grab hold of me when I pass by the cages.

Once ATC became aware of these flights, they have been super helpful, offering direct routing whenever they can.

Do you protect them against the noise in any way?

One of the great advantages of a turbine, and especially the Jetprop is the low noise and vibration in the cabin. No need for any protection, other than my wish to gag them sometimes when taxiing in, and they are making themselves heard! Lol.

They are not sedated either.

In the early days, various tower controllers quizzed me about the distinctive background noise over the radio.

Overall a unique flying odyssey that I value greatly.

Cheers – E

Last Edited by eal at 19 Jul 02:04
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

A very valuable use of a plane!

That “chimp” has a higher IQ than a lot of airport employees, especially the 9mm carrying ones

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message