Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Most challenging grass strips and runways

Speaking of Northern Ireland, Aughrim in NI was a fun one – actually, the grass is in very nice condition and I think it’s over 400m long, but it’s on a hillside and has a fair slope, and my arrival there was unplanned (someone crashed at the airfield I was actually going to forcing a diversion while they dealt with the situation – it was announced on the radio that the “kettle was on at Aughrim” so we all went there – not much space to park so we had to squeeze about a dozen planes into a fairly small space at the end). It’s a perfectly easy airfield for the Auster, but it is one-way owing to the gradient and I could see it giving some anxiety to a pilot whose experience was nice level and perfectly groomed grass fields of similar length.

The most difficult airfield I’ve been into was Lower Loon in Idaho. It’s short, high density altitude, one way, rough, and you have to approach it down a river valley and don’t have sight on it till you’re almost there. There are geothermal hotsprings nearby, it’s a fun place to visit but you do need a plane with good takeoff performance.

Last Edited by alioth at 02 Feb 10:24
Andreas IOM

WilliamF wrote:

The strip sloped up to the back of the owner’s house making it one way in, one way out.

I think Jacko’s arrester trees are probably a bit less brutal than an arrester house!

Andreas IOM

(Aughrim is) a perfectly easy airfield for the Auster, but it is one-way owing to the gradient and I could see it giving some anxiety to a pilot whose experience was nice level and perfectly groomed grass fields of similar length.

Yes, Archie’s airstrip is a peach but it’s not absolutely one-way. I landed a Cessna 150 downhill there many years ago – it was my first visit to and second ever landing in Ulster and with less than 40 hours post PPL nobody at Prestwick had told me about one-way strips.

Happily, the little “land-o-matic” C150 was tolerant of such poor judgement. As Col. Cooper remarked, good judgement comes from experience, and most experience comes from bad judgement.

Last Edited by Jacko at 03 Feb 01:11
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The strip sloped up to the back of the owner’s house making it one way in, one way out.

At least an overrun would end right on the livingroom sofa :)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Feb 01:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

The strip itself is just fine, about 330 m, but the “final” is rather peculiar. This is a small strip at Stiklestad. It will be gone this year, moved to a field nearby in a hill, the green squar’ish field in the middle of the picture.

For the final landing in W direction, you have to follow the river, flying in a valley. Then you just turn left and land. This is not obvious in the picture, but evident in the next picture with height markings in meters. Straight in is impossible, or close to it, you will fly into the small hill/farm where the new strip will be.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My former “home base runway”, which was 1600 feet long, and about 15 feet wide (where I’m standing to take the photo) was abandoned. I flew back in years later with my daughter (standing at the far end in pink). It had grown back in to be as narrow as the first time I landed in there, before we widened (and mowed) it to the 15 foot width, at the culvert over the river. Decent approach and departure paths, but not a lot of excess ground.

One of my most challenging was Dalsoyra, Norway, with a very challenging approach to a down slope runway, which was 40 feet longer than the landing roll distance for the plane. I walked it that morning before making the landing

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Grass is always tricky anywhere but Stokes has a banana shape and Dunstable we land gliders tug inside a +/-30% gradient bowl, Courcheval at sea leaves would be a piece of cake

For paved runways,

Ursel in Belgium has some nasty turbulences, the runway is 2400m but only the middle 800m being usable for a good reason

Satniel Cay in Bahamas with crosswinds, I landed with 35kts at 90deg at 11am but it was not very gusty, my wife was 5 month pragnant and enjoy it, sadly it was a dead Island as no boats were sailing in the sea with 40kts winds, swiming pigs were in shelters that day….

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/11843-trip-report-florida-bahamas-jan16-jan26

Some people had more gusts !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 13:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Some people had more gusts !

A bit of exaggeration and showing right-hand side camera, actual crab angle is not so “ridiculous” as he claims which you can see from left-hand side camera view. Crosswind yes, but total wind was 25 kts and not all of it was cross component. However, nice video.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

A bit of exaggeration and showing right-hand side camera

Well spotted, it’s YT: recorded & presented to feel dramatic, very nice video though

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I find the trickiest approach is Scilly Isles EGHE, due to the slope at both ends of the main runway. I now prefer to land just on the middle portion, which is about 500m. This shows both runways and the left/right one is the harder one

The place which could be most challenging in some crosswind would be Kastelorizo LGKJ, done on this trip in 2018 and shown in this video

The worst places I have been to were Spanhoe which I did c. 2006 and which was covered in rocks of which I had to kick the worst ones out of the way before departing (most people based there clearly didn’t like each other so nobody would go out and buy a broom; I am told it has since improved) and a strip called Heywood Farm after which I needed a new set of teeth

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message