Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My engine failure followed by forced landing...

Very well done!

An engine failure followed by no injuries and no damage to the aircraft is as good an outcome as is possible!

What a (insert non-allowed expletive here) for telling you it was carb icing! Sure he might think that, but saying it is unprofessional at that point. That last thing you want at that point is professionals second guessing a perfect landing!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Wow, Len – sorry to hear but well flown!

Also thanks for posting the media link, got to brush up my Dutch reading skills a bit browsing through the comments calling for a closure of Lelystad now

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Well done. Thanks for sharing your experience. Pleased you made a good job of it.

Last Edited by Alex_ at 24 Aug 20:28
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Yes and thanks a HUGE amount for posting about it. Most people would not have done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well done, you handled this extremely well!

Peter, I can understand why people may be reluctant to post stuff which makes it harder to sell their aircraft, what makes people less likely to post an event like this, in your experience? Fear of being judged/ having missed something?

EGTF, LFTF
Leaning would have made the difference.

Yeah, but you can’t operate by hindsight
The time between realizing that there was an engine failure and the forced landing was two minutes. I swifted my attention to a forced landing quite early.

which gasket was it?

I was told that it was the carb heat gasket. A large neoprene gasket. Not sure if this make sense?

Will it influence your future flying?

I remain of the opinion that forced landings are very well survivable. But the line between a successful outcome and a failure is quite thin.
I will not do night flying in a SEP any longer.

What a (insert non-allowed expletive here) for telling you it was carb icing! Sure he might think that, but saying it is unprofessional at that point. That last thing you want at that point is professionals second guessing a perfect landing!

I got an email from the Police tonight. They visited the maintenance company this afternoon. They confirmed that I could not have prevented this incident from happening and that it was handled it in the correct way.
Also they stated that they will discuss this (the communicating of unfounded conclusions) internally so that it won’t happen again in the future. (are they reading EuroGA ?)

Let’s hope there are no issues with future renting from the place this one came from.

Today we received flowers from the private owner that rents out his C182. Also he was really very helpful in the whole process.

Yes and thanks a HUGE amount for posting about it. Most people would not have done.

You’re welcome. There is something to learn from it. For myself I would try cycling the mixture next time I have a mishap like this. Most important is to keep the plane flying to the ground and get as much energy out as quick as you can…

Excellent job. Nothing you could do. At that altitude I doubt I would have cycled the mixture. Better to prepare for the landing properly.

EGTK Oxford

Peter, I can understand why people may be reluctant to post stuff which makes it harder to sell their aircraft, what makes people less likely to post an event like this, in your experience? Fear of being judged/ having missed something?

All of the above and more

So a posting like Lenthamen’s is really appreciated. We all learn from it.

Administrator

Well done – congratulations for a perfect outcome!

lenthamen wrote:

I will not do night flying in a SEP any longer.

A very wise decision – I didn’t do night flying either in a SEP for that very reason, although I have the NFQ. You might soon run out of options.

EDLE

I concur – I have about 30hrs at night versus about 2300 in daytime. However most people who fly for business (which itself means many different things, in terms of whether and when you have to be somewhere) will say that not flying at night would make the plane useless.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message