Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Netherlands - Lelystad EHLE (or other airport) advice

Planning to visit Netherlands this summer. Based at Stockholm-Västerås (ESOW) in Sweden, but planning to fly from second base Malmö (ESMS) down to Netherlands. My then 11 year old daugther is totally nuts about pandas and two weeks ago two of those guys arrived at Ouwehands Dierenpark in Rhenen, that we now just HAVE to visit….Daddy is not hard to convince… :-)…even though the cost to see those pandas are rediculous….but hey…it’s flying… :-)

First….flying IFR, prefer airports (Lelystad-type) iso smaller airfields (Hilversum-type), for convenience etc. I have been to Lelystad 1000 years ago, which was a very pleasant experience. If they would roll out the FollowMe-car…my daugher would be in heaven, even before meeting the pandas…. Rhenen is an hour drive from there, but is there any closer/better airport, that you would recommend?

Second question…ther reason I ask, rental cars seems not easy to catch at Lelystad (if you don’t pay a large amount for them to deliver the car from Amsterdam). Can’t find any! Do you locals have any good advice? We don’t need any fancy stuff…we are just going for the pandas… :-)

Many thanks!

Last Edited by AndersB at 28 Apr 07:58
ESOW, Sweden

FYI, Lelystad effectively is a VFR-only field as well.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, I know the specific rules…thanks for rapid reply and pointing out. Just need to study to refresh my memory. Good point though. Listening to all suggestions on alternates!.

Last Edited by AndersB at 28 Apr 08:04
ESOW, Sweden

Lelystad effectively is a VFR-only field as well.

Is there a problem with these procedures?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lelystad is VFR during daylight hours but IFR at night

Here is what the AIP says:
1) IFR operations limited in time and number. Only allowed:
• After co-ordination and confirmation from AD authority.
• MON-FRI (EXC HOL) during AD OPR HR.
• Before UDP or after UDP after 1920 (1820).
2) VFR night operations limited. See EHLE AD 2.22 for further details.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Apr 08:20
LFPT, LFPN

If panda’s it must be, better consider pairi daiza and fly into friendly EBSG Saint Ghislain. Or, if IFR is required, LFQQ Lille or EBKT Kortrijk.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Deventer/Teuge might still be a half-reasonable distance. But I can’t help with rental car information.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Lelystad is a mess at the moment as they are extending the runway.

I would recommend Niederrhein EDLV. It has car rental. From there its about a 1 hour drive to the Zoo in Rhenen.

@Jan_Olieslagers
Thank you…we will for sure look up the pandas in Belgium as well, although Netherlands are number one on the list. Did not know they had as well. Might be an alternative. Still a direct flight from ESMS (Sweden-Malmo Airport) for us. Might return for more advices… :-)

@lenthamen
Nice to hear that the extension plans are progressing. Hopefully not a negative for us “small” guys? We are planning to visit end of July/beginning of August. Are work still in progress then? Any specific things you are thinking about, when you say that it’s a mess? Thanks for all input!

Last Edited by AndersB at 01 May 16:30
ESOW, Sweden

Read about the mess at EHLE….yes, maybe I have to find another airport this summer… :-(

ESOW, Sweden
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message