Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New flying video out:

Hey all,

I’ve compiled various clips from the past two weeks of flying around Germany in the Piper Archer III into a video.

As mentioned in another thread, focus was on capturing the emotional appeal of flying rather than being very accurate from an aviation point of view. Hence, some of the ATC/ATIS recordings have been shortened and edited.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Nice work, Patrick!

A suggestion on the nav set-up, if I may.

I noticed you’ve got both 430s showing the map. Why not leave one on Track Up map and the other on Flight Plan (or Nav 1)? Then you’ll quickly be able to see ETAs etc and select Directs. Better than having duplicated information in front of you.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I noticed you’ve got both 430s showing the map. Why not leave one on Track Up map and the other on Flight Plan (or Nav 1)? Then you’ll quickly be able to see ETAs etc and select Directs. Better than having duplicated information in front of you.

Thanks for the suggestion!

In the case of the setup used in the video (actually, I just used what’s been setup by whoever had the plane before me), one map was North Up with a close-up zoom level and airspace details, while the other map was setup Track Up, zoomed out to show the entire route and de-cluttered. To be honest, the second display was more for the benefit of the passenger than for me. Having the list of waypoints of the active flight plan seems like a good idea – given that you HAVE entered a flight plan consisting of multiple waypoints. In many cases now, I limit myself to a direct to the destination airfield. Any deviations from that can be entered quickly enroute using more direct-tos. I often find it cumbersome to enter a long series of waypoints only to trash them enroute because something comes up that makes me change the sequence of waypoints flown).

I often find it cumbersome to enter a long series of waypoints only to trash them enroute because something comes up that makes me change the sequence of waypoints flown).

I’m not sure if you’re an IFR or VFR pilot, Patrick, but your method will make sense for VFR but not so much for IFR.

Although you can, and often do, get DCTs to waypoints not on an IFR flight plan, the routing almost always joins up again later so you can resume your flight-planned route. For example, last Saturday I was rerouted over the Channel but the flight plan joined up again at ABB.

https://www.autorouter.eu/track/1472U2Sb

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I’m not sure if you’re an IFR or VFR pilot, Patrick, but your method will make sense for VFR but not so much for IFR.

Strictly VFR for now.

Great video Patrick – thanks for sharing!

UK, United Kingdom

For both VFR and IFR, it’s nice to have the “text box” (FMS in the airline/bizjet world) and the MFD, separated e.g.

The above is old 1990s kit but still brilliant for the job.

In light GA there is a trend away from that, towards a single box, to save money and space, but that leads to more button pushing to change contexts.

That’s a very good video. I must make a note to myself to find a way to fix the phone to something!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Video not available in Germany due to music copyright…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This may be of relevance.

Someone I know defeated the system using the “30 seconds of non-music at the start” method.

This can’t be a simple copyright music issue because youtube would pull the video entirely – as vimeo do, usually instantly.

The simplest solution may be to self-host it, but make sure you post-process it in e.g. Handbrake with the “web friendly” option checked so it starts to play immediately.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great video Patrick. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for posting it.

EGTT, The London FIR
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message