Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 major failure on brand new Cirrus SR22 GTS

how come you buy a nealy 1M € airplane and something like this happens?? If I was the owner I would be super upset honestly, luckily they where in good VMC weather.

maybe trading all the fancy and toy looking features (those magenta rectangular in which you have to fly in to follow your route look quite pathethic IMHO) for a bit more reliability wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
Funny to see they had to revert back to Skydemon on the simple Ipad in order to reach destination! ;)

What might have happened? they seem to have GPS all the time, yet, almost total failure of the NAV systems…

Note aside: I consider having myself quite a good level of English (though far from optimal of course) and quite an experience in aviation communication, but I do find those exchanges between pilot and ATC very difficult to be understood. Is it just me? I mean, beside the English accent, the whole phraseology is very complex. (question for non english pilots of course).

Last Edited by turillo1986 at 18 Dec 11:22
LILC, Italy

In reality a “1 million airplane” is still a basic and (cheap by aviation standards) GA airplane. System failures happen in airplanes that cost 200 times as much aswell.

A new airplane has a warranty (2-5 years depending on contract and manufacturer) and that will take care of the problems. It is also nothing new that systems in new airplanes fail more often than in (let’s say) 10 year old ones. Airplanes are, for the most part, complicted and handmade machines, and many of them need some debugging after production.

All of that is part of the GA game.

It didn’t lose the nav system, it lost terrain system TAWS and the map. This is usually either a loss of GPS signal or a bad SD card but almost certianly the latter in this case as nothing else failed.

Their autopilot didn’t disconnect. Presumably a bit of infant mortality.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Dec 12:20
EGTK Oxford

Never lost anything very critical, the nav was working throughout as was the AI and air data. The flight Director and Autopilot was also working as far as I could see,

Bit of a non event really?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

They could save a few quid by omitting the windows. Clearly unneccessary.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 18 Dec 12:30
Biggin Hill

Good point there from Cobalt!

always learning
LO__, Austria

And additionally, the SR22T in the video is not brand new, but 2014, hence probably just out of warranty if they didn’t pay the extra to extend. ;-)

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Agree with Jason, by losing TAWS it suggests a GPS drop out. If they were flying mine I would certainly not appreciate the yellow arc descent or running it above lean of peak with TIT’s looking like they are well over 1600 DEG.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

That airplane should have both the Garmin TAWS feature AND the EGPWS system that’s standard in most SR22s of that vintage.

All a bit of a non-event. The terrain system can drop out for a number of reasons but it really isn’t worth writing home about.

PS. I agree about lookout; completely unsatisfactory for Class G airspace.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message