Welcome to our forums

New radios from Garmin: GTR205 and GNC215

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Direct competition with Trig etc.
They look simple and good!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

@wigglyamp, are these much better than the previous GTR/GNC?
Or is it the same product but with colour display?

EGTR

Yeager wrote:

yep, very attractive… unfortunately the retail price not as much…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yeager wrote:

Direct competition with Trig etc.

They seem nicer than the boxes they replace (GTR255 and GNC255) but also slightly more expensive so they don’t really change the competition situation visavi Trig, do they?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Feb 16:59
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Details off another forum, as published by G3xpert Justin:

Here are the high points:

• 1.3” tall height, simplifies replacement of the popular Slimline SL30 and SL40 radios (requires rack and connector change)
  • Bright, beautiful, sunlight readable and color 3.2” wide display
  • Optional NVIS compatible display upgrade available within the unit
  • Large, easy to read fonts
  • Automatic frequency identification using an on-board database with GPS input
  • Frequency lookup using on-board database
  • Monitor the standby COMM frequency simultaneously with the active frequency
  • Press and hold the volume knob or frequency swap key to enter/activate the emergency 121.5 frequency
  • Setup and quickly recall up to 20 frequencies
  • Count up or count down timer
  • Optional remote key for COMM frequency swap; can install on the panel, yoke or other controls for quick access
  • Auto and manual squelch options and quick open squelch access with a press of the volume knob
  • 10-watt transmit standard with 16-watt upgrade option available within the unit
  • Pilot selectable frequency spacing supports regions that require 8.33 kHz frequency spacing, like Europe

GNC 215 offers adds a NAV radio with the additional features:

• Course deviation indication with to/from leg status; still requires primary CDI
  • Distance and bearing to the station with GPS input
  • Automatic morse code station identification
  • Monitor the standby NAV frequency radial simultaneously with the active frequency
  • Pairs well with most analog indicators and Garmin G5, GI 275, G3X Touch and TXi Flight Display

The GTR 205 is priced at $2,695 and the GNC 215 is priced at $5,295. Orders can be placed with your Garmin Dealer now and we expect to begin shipping in March. These radios replace the GTR 225 and GNC 255.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

They seem nicer than the boxes they replace (GTR255 and GNC255) but also slightly more expensive so they don’t really change the competition situation visavi Trig, do they?

In the US market, a lot of people have been and are using GTR200s at $1575 instead as a simple comm radio, in certified aircraft. I understand they work better than the GTR255, have a good built-in 2-place intercom and notwithstanding Garmin’s listing of them as “Experimental” there is no regulatory restriction with installing on on a certified plane if it doesn’t need a TSO’d radio. The issue for Europe is that they are 760 channel, not 2280 channel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Feb 19:36

Airborne_Again wrote:

Silvaire wrote:

The issue for Europe is that they are 760 channel, not 2280 channel.

From the specs at Garmin it states:
“Communication channels: 760 with 25 kHz spacing; 2280 channels with 8.33 kHz spacing”

Only, in that they look better! So, if they look better than the previous (Garmin) model and the Trig´s look the same (since they haven´t changed) – that would change the competition situation vs Trig, no?
Most things come at a price – even looks! ;-)

Dan wrote:

yep, very attractive… unfortunately the retail price not as much…

If you expect this equipment to last say 20 years – the difference is not really significant, if one finds that they fits better in the current cockpit environment. I actually don´t think they would on my old Rallye – and probably many other similar aged aircraft – they have a bit to much of a modern appearance, lacking the nostalgic progressive update looks of the likes of Trig´s stacks.. ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 01 Feb 20:01
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

From the specs at Garmin it states:
“Communication channels: 760 with 25 kHz spacing; 2280 channels with 8.33 kHz spacing”

My comment was in relation to the $1575 Garmin GTR200 com plus intercom radio, for which the specs appear to be as follows, with 25 MHz or 760 channel capability.

Sorry to detail the thread!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Feb 20:02

the difference is not really significant, if one finds that they fits better in the current cockpit environment

Yes, I need to be more precise… the new Navcom would be a super fit to my current cockpit environment, no doubt. But scaling the price to replace my existing 225A for a colorized enhancement of my flying working space measured against my revenue reveals a ridiculously low ROI.

PS
OTOH life’s not getting any longer

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message