Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New wake turbulence separation categories

There is an effort in the Europe to create new wake turbulence categories. We will get 6 wake turbulence categories, A-F or super heavy, upper heavy, lower heavy, upper medium, lower medium, and light. The idea is to improve airport efficiency by being able to lower separation minima.

For us (cat F, light), it will probably get safer (read less efficient, longer waiting times), as only light behind lower medium will require 1 mile or 20 seconds less separation. Light behind upper heavy will require 1 mile or 20 seconds more separation, but also light behind light will require 0.5 mile or 20 seconds more separation (!).

The FAA has a similar initiative

I hope the new, more complex, wake turbulence separation standards will soon be part of the IR TK

LSZK, Switzerland

One wonders how light behind light formation landings are possible

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

One wonders how light behind light formation landings are possible

Difficult one. The new categories are not bad, but I think that the “light” category is too large (or heavy at the upper end). A Do328 or Citation Sovereign is certainly not something you want to follow close behind in a Pa18 or C152. Twenty seconds is not a lot of separation behind a 30-seater twin turboprop.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The funny thing about this is that the only place I have ever seen ATC not controlling the separation was at Athens LGAV in Sep 2015.

They asked me to line up right behind a 737 and “cleared for takeoff when ready”. I timed about 2 minutes and then did my best to fly a line upwind of him.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message