Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NOAA shut down

Due to the US Govt shutdown, they have taken down a lot of familiar aviation sites.

The NOAA notam feed is dead.

The ADDS weather site (used by most European aviation sites for tafs and metars, because it delivers reasonably machine-readable data) is still up but probably won't be for much longer because they get it from NOAA.

Eurocontrol get a separate feed, but not many free sites get their data from there. This one does, I believe.

I would also be careful with GFS data, which comes from the USA. The GRAMET site is working OK as far as one can tell from the date stamp on the GFS database used, but one can't be quite sure the actual data has been updated. Mind you... if GFS falls over, all US aviation will grind to a halt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/October/02/Length-of-shutdown-will-determine-aviation-impact.aspx?WT.mcsect=tts&WT.mcid=131004epilot

KUZA, United States

That's the first time I'm glad that GPS is operated by the US military. Otherwise it would have been shut down by now as well.

EDDS - Stuttgart

That's the first time I'm glad that GPS is operated by the US military. Otherwise it would have been shut down by now as well.

No, it is considered an essential service required for both national security and safety of life applications. The WAAS geo satellites and system are operated strictly by the FAA and they remain in service as does weather briefing and forecasting, ATC, Flight Service, etc.

Our president would shut them down if he could, he will do anything to cause harm to the American people to get his way politically. He even tried to prevent WWII vets from going to the memorial and shut down all parks on Federal land, even if they were privately funded. He closed the US cemetery in Normandy.

KUZA, United States

The Notam briefing site I use, which offers both Norway and FAA-NOAA Notams, is dead on the FAA ones, so it looks like something has been pulled very recently.

Administrator

Try this site. I just looked up EGKA OK.

KUZA, United States

OK... interesting.

Administrator

Update: the Notam problem I reported earlier was not related to the source. It's working now.

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message