Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Am I buying a deathtrap?

I’d also want to understand the history of this particular engine; has it been apart, if so what was done, at what hours in service and why.

In 2018 #3 cylinder had no compression, valve gasket fell out. Two cylinders were sent for overhaul.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Oct 01:47
always learning
LO__, Austria

In Deutsch, ein Nr. 3 Ventilsitz war locker und fiel heraus? (valve gasket is not a ‘thing’ in English)

That’s a direct translation from the English ‘a #3 valve seat was loose and fell out’ (I’m trying, so is my wife, she can’t always help 100% with technical terms) A loose or ‘dropped’ valve seat is something not unexpected – VW conversions take some attention, but equally those cylinder overhauls would probably be very inexpensive. You might plan on an (inexpensive) top overhaul at half TBO.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Oct 03:08

I have built myself a VW conversion from all the bits and pieces. In the end I ended up purchasing a brand new ULPower engine The problem is not to find parts, it’s the quality of the parts (or lack of, unbelievably lack of in some circumstances) resulting in endless fixing and search for quality parts. Nothing in these old engines is made in Germany anymore. It’s all aftermarked non-genuine parts with quality ranging from nonexistent to OK. For one that knows old VW engines in and out, and have real interest in them, this is no problem, but if you don’t, a disproportional amount of time will be used for the engine alone.

That HB conversion looks very simple. It’s like they have taken an engine from a car, fan and all, and simply put it in an aircraft, then hooked it up to the belt propeller drive. But, they haven’t really done that either because the cylinders and pistons cannot be standard VW parts. The engine is old. It hasn’t been used in a production car for 40-50 years. Your only hope is therefore that HB has stacked up on (quality) parts, and is willing to fix your engine at a reasonable cost, No one else will touch it.

A VW engine is OK if you can get by with 50-60 HP. They will run forever, considering that some level of quality (original German quality) is maintained in every part. For larger engines you will be better off with Sauer or Limbach, but they cost a lot also (Rotax/Lycoming price tags for Limbach). Even on those engines, cracked cylinder heads seems to be common (but it’s common on Lycomings as well, so no difference really).

I would probably buy that plane. At that price, it’s a no brainer IMO, but only as long as I had readily access to HB, and they can fix the engine if needed at a reasonable cost. Otherwise it is a nice project to replace the engine with something modern, this is an experimental after all. A Rotax 912/914 being the obvious choice here, but at 100 HP there are lots of other options. But then again, there are lots and lots of 912 powered two seaters on the market, so why bother unless you absolutely need a rather exotic HB-207

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That’s a direct translation from the English ‘a #3 valve seat was loose and fell out’

Yes, thanks. Valve Seat Seal of course.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks @lesving appreciate the input!

Where do you see many 2 seaters available?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Lots of microlights and LSA/VLA fits that description. But that’s going off topic. I don’t think this aircraft is any more death trap than any other aircraft. If you sort out engine maintenance, and find it OK, you got a very nice aircraft for little money. HB is in Austria AFAIK.

Even if you don’t find the maintenance OK, there is a whole lot of aircraft left, and it looks to be in very good condition. “Just” install a Rotax 914, and you have a trouble free, very good performing aircraft for the rest of your life, maybe HB can do it for you. Weren’t the 207 also made with Rotax engines? A 914 isn’t cheap. In total it will probably cost 30-50k to do it. By then the aircraft will cost 50-70 k, but it performs better than microlights costing 2-3 times as much.

This is an experimental. An experimental aircraft with an experimental engine (as this more or less is), will always be of little value to most people, also to most people who fly experimental aircraft exclusively. Once you install a “standard” engine, and whoops, it will be valued as a completely different aircraft. This is true even if the engines from a pure technical point of view are equal regarding reliability and cost of maintenance (I have no clue how reliable these HB conversions are though). If HB is willing to maintain the engine, and this is practical for you, then you don’t really have a problem IMO. You will have a very good aircraft for very little money. The downside is perhaps others will think you are somewhat crazy But installing the 914 will always be an option further out.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving, what you wrote about Brazilian and Mexican VW parts in undoubtedly true (let me tell you about comparing glove compartment latches if you want to be put to sleep) but the air-cooled engine scene is still alive here, you could build an e.g. 2180 cc high performance dune buggy engine with quality parts mostly made in the US and there are dozens of places that would build it for you. For example

It’s fun to own and fly something different but my choice to fulfill the same role, in the same area, for the same price would be a Bölkow 208 Junior, or maybe a Jodel.

They held the Bölkow and Friends Fly-In in Friedrichshafen this year (in August) and it would have been a nice flight from Austria

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Oct 15:39

Hey Snoopy

I did some research on the Alfa‘s too, i would love to own one as soon as Budget allows :)

Mr. Brditschka actually designed the Aircraft and OE-CHC seemd to be the Prototype. You can find Pictures where she is still wearing a 5 Blade Prop and Retactable Gear. Here is an old Article about it making a Forced Lading in Germany and clipping a wing LINK

In a old Flieger Magazin article it says the Engine is a mix of VW and Porsche Parts, based on a „Type 2“ Engine. It also says that the Engine is Certified under Part 22-H, witch makes sense as they already used this Engine on their Motorgliders witch they used to build. I dont know if all the Alfas use Certified Engines or Experimental Versions of the Certified ones. I seem to remember that in Austria you need to use a Certified Engine on Homebuilds (i could be wrong thought).

Have you already talked to the Igo Etrich Club (Austrian Homebuilder Association), they sure are able to get you some more Info on the Alfa‘s or hook you up with the Right People :)

HB has listed another Alfa for Sale – Probably also an Option? :)

btw. HB today is a bigger Maintainance provider, our Club flies out all of our DV20‘s to HB for Maintainance, and we are very happy with them – even if it means a 1,5h flight each way – that can be seen as a Plus Point for HB or an Negativ one when it comes to the GA Maintainance scenery in General ;)

Austria

Thanks Matt

Yep, did all of that. Also have a folder of the articles you mentioned and other docs on my computer already.

Have you ever flown in an Alfa?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Great

no sadly never flew one. Would be really interested in anything Alfa related, if you are able to share?

Austria
Sign in to add your message