Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ultralight in Portugal, and how to get the UL license in English

https://aerolazer.pt/

This ultrlight school is likely to know what you need. AFAIK they are also importers.

BR

Luis

LPSR, Portugal

As I posted in France you don’t need to take a theory test to get a ULM licence if you already have a PPL.

France

I don’t have an answer but a rant :P I faced the same problem after moving from Dubai to Berlin. My LSA license wasn’t valid anymore and German ultraright regulations require you to write the exam in German. Since I didn’t have a choice I decided to get my PPL from Hungary as I was working remotely. It would be great if authorities start supporting English for ultralights too. Even though I have PPL I would like to rent Ultralights due to their cheaper rental price and some experimental ultralight aircraft have better avionics than 50-year-old Cessnas.

I stand corrected you will need a temporary permit to fly a 600kg.ULM in France along with the licence that goes with it.
The rules are here.
Microlight2019_pdf

France

This was touched on here.

It is apparently why there was a resistance to the 600kg MTOW. It would create a climate with a lot more internal travel restrictions than before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

That’s not strictly correct. In a ULM you don’t need permission to fly into France. All you need is a flight plan. Yes if you are flying a 600kg ULM you need to have an LAPL or PPL to fly in France because of the 500kg limit here.
However I was under the impression that Wingover’s goal was to get flying as quickly as possible, as easily as possible and he already has an FAA licence.

Sorry to contradict you but this states that, with an Ultralight machine which does NOT comply with the french rules – ie 600Kg MTOW – you do need permission. Having an LAPL or PPL is largely irrelevant because, for example, I couldn’t legally fly an Ultralight in Germany on my PPL(A) – I would need the SPL, even if it’s just a formality to get it. The fact is that the aircraft does not comply with French rules hence needs permission to fly there. The only place where having a PPL(A) in an Ultralight used to bring you benefits was in (eg) Switzerland, where, if you had a PPL(A), you weren’t excluded from using controlled airspace. However since last year, that’s changed and anybody flying an Ultralight wanting to fly there, needs to get permission.

Because the restrictions are getting more and more onerous, my recommendation to @Wingover is to look for an LSA version of those aircraft. I’ve seen LSA versions of the Flight Design & Pipistrel up for sale, with one of those he also wouldn’t need to worry about altitude limitations in (e.g.) Spain where ULs have to remain within 1000 Ft AGL max.

MLA_flying_in_Europe_1_1_2022 local copy

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 27 Mar 18:55
EDL*, Germany

That’s not strictly correct. In a ULM you don’t need permission to fly into France. All you need is a flight plan. Yes if you are flying a 600kg ULM you need to have an LAPL or PPL to fly in France because of the 500kg limit here.
However I was under the impression that Wingover’s goal was to get flying as quickly as possible, as easily as possible and he already has an FAA licence.

France

Wingover wrote:

I am looking at a Pipistrel Virus or Flight Design.

Personally speaking, I’d go for an LSA version of those aircraft rather than a UL – with an LSA, at least you have no restrictions on altitude in Spain, can fly into France, etc at will (flight plan submitted, of course). With an Ultralight aircraft, don’t forget that if you have a 600kg MTOW UL, then you need permission to fly in France because France limits their ULs to 525Kg. If you fly there with a 600kg UL and are ramp checked and found not to have permission, you’re in the merde….

With regards ULM licence, if you already have your PPL(A) / LAPL, in Germany all you do is go for a flight with an UL instructor and get signed off, you then receive your SPL licence.

EDL*, Germany

@Wingover I don’t think it would, but I may be wrong.
Art. 7. – Aptitude à la radiotéléphonie en langue française. – Pour obtenir l’aptitude à la radiotéléphonie
en langue française, le candidat doit satisfaire à un contrôle portant sur le programme correspondant, défini à
l’annexe III du présent arrêté, auprès d’un instructeur de pilote d’ULM. Ce contrôle comporte une phase pratique
en vol.
« Le candidat assure les communications radiotéléphoniques sur tout ou partie du vol. »

Aptitude for radiotelephony in French. – To obtain aptitude for radiotelephony
in French, the candidate must pass a test relating to the corresponding program, defined in
Annex III of this decree, with a microlight pilot instructor. This control includes a practical phase
in flight.

“The candidate provides radiotelephone communications on all or part of the flight. »

But on the positive side you will get a stamp in your licence saying Apte pour radiotelephonie en langue francais. Which means you are qualified to use all the fr. only airfields if anyone should ask..And during the practical you will probably be learning the French phrases by rote, so not difficult.
Have a look at all the airfields all over France that you can visit by ULM, over 1000.
You can also fly thr ULM in Spain but you will need a class2 medical. Or at least that’s what my chum was told by AENA when he asked about a permit.
I’m afraid I don’t know about Portugal, I don’t know anyone who has flown their ULM there recently.
Italy weren’t at all bothered about permits either.

France

@gallois Thanks for the good info. I actually heard back from one of the ultralight clubs in France who said the same thing. I wonder if I did the radio licence while doing the LAPL in English that problem will be solved?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message