Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Registration of aircraft with no EASA type certificate

If I were you, I’d try to find out when the Dutch will go for 600 kg UL, or what holds them from doing so right now, given that so many countries have gone this route.

But note that even if 600 kg is approved, this does not mean that all types will have this MTOM of course. Some existing designs may not be approved by the manufacturers and thus neither by the authorities, or to a number < 600 kg. Some may be approved subject to structural adaptations, so a used aircraft requires some investment. Factory-new ULs will probably all come with 600 kg.

Are you looking at new or used aircraft?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks aart, I will contact the local CAA again. Last time I spoke with them they said the new higher MTOW will be approved soon, but in the incident report I posted earlier it was already expected to happen in 2022.

My ideal would be to buy a new Sling HW but I do not want to build one and finding them already built is virtually impossible. I will be going to South Africa in July and will go visit the factory to discuss the possibility of a factory build but I expect that these cannot be registered as experimental/homebuilt, i.e. will they have to be registered as UL and fall under the same 450kg/600kg MTOW? That is a bit silly as the Sling has a design MTOW of 950kg. I suspect delivery time to also be an issue.
So failing that option I would probably lean towards a used aircraft. The two options that currently interest me most is:
- Tecnam’s (P92/2002/2004/2008), the P92 seems to be design limited to 450kg so would not be my preference, P2004 never registered in NL, P2008 on the expensive side for what you get. That leaves the P2002 as the front runner, but then in the non-certified Sierra version.
- JMB VL3. I am a bit wary of insurance (and maintenance?) on the retractable gear, so not sure I want to open this can of worms.

I also still need to find hangar space around here, something that seems to be even more scarce than hen’s teeth.

Regards,
Cobus

EHLE, Netherlands

You could also have a look at a used Europa (Trigear) – if you fit in . With a dutch registration it has up to 656 kg MTOM at an empty weight of 400-420 kg (depending on engine), big baggage compartement with 36 kg usable. You can cruise easily at 130 kt throughout Europe (except Spain ;-). There are quite some registered on PH. The main market is the UK and in 2011 I’ve bought one there and registered it in the Netherlands (on D-reg in the meantime).

EDLE

propkop wrote:

I will be going to South Africa in July and will go visit the factory

Thread drift alert 🔔
When there, greetings to James and tell him I sleep soo much better knowing he won’t clamber over my head in the middle of the nite… he will remember for sure 🤣

Back on thread…
Not sure what the situation in NL is today, but it used to be pretty easy to import and re-register a homebuilt aircraft, either from the EU or the US, which opens loads of options. OTOH I “heard” that the screws were tightened last year, though I have no reference.
Re the Sling HW, not sure that would qualify as a UL, there might be other requirements than the MTOM.

Good hunting 👍🏻

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

When there, greetings to James and tell him I sleep soo much better knowing he won’t clamber over my head in the middle of the nite… he will remember for sure 🤣

Dan, will do. Sounds like a story to be shared over a cold beer.

EHLE, Netherlands

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico, thank you, I am indeed aware that the change in regulation has been accepted in the Netherlands.

I have been speaking to the local CAA about other types and they indicated that if a type is accepted as MLA by one of 3 countries (United Kingdom, Germany or Czech Republic), the type can be registered as MLA in the Netherlands. Where would I be able to find a database of MLA types accepted in Germany? I think the German rules are probably the closest to the Dutch rules.

Regards,
Cobus

EHLE, Netherlands

Check here, under “Gerätekennblätter Ultraleichtflugzeuge”:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Check here, under “Gerätekennblätter Ultraleichtflugzeuge”:

Thank you @boscomantico, I had a look at the list, quite interesting, but unfortunately I do not see any mention of the Tecnam P2002 Sierra or P2008 types. Does that mean there are no P2002 Sierra aircraft registered as UL/MLA in Germany?

EHLE, Netherlands

propkop wrote:

Thank you @boscomantico, I had a look at the list, quite interesting, but unfortunately I do not see any mention of the Tecnam P2002 Sierra or P2008 types. Does that mean there are no P2002 Sierra aircraft registered as UL/MLA in Germany?

This is the Datasheet for the P2002 Sierra Mark II which is registered as an UL in Germany.

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 14 Mar 19:10
EDL*, Germany
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message