Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR in homebuilts - UK LAA programme (merged)

Just out of curiosity, does this mean IFR equipped experimental aircraft from other countries also (finally) can fly IFR in the UK?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This is an amazing result. I bet my home base will have PCL in a couple of years. We have some 40 permit aircraft based there and only about 5 certified aircraft.

I put local copies of the two docs here: TL2.27 TL2.28

does this mean IFR equipped experimental aircraft from other countries also (finally) can fly IFR in the UK?

We have had many threads on this topic previously but I don’t recall whether the UK prohibits IFR in UK airspace in noncertified aircraft. I recall that Germany does, for example, but also quite a few other countries seem to have no such rule and thus overflying them is legal.

I don’t believe there is any change in the 28-day limit on non-EU-reg homebuilts. But at least this would allow e.g. [certain types of a] G-reg Lancair to be based in the UK indefinitely and fly IFR in the UK, and fly IFR over those other countries which don’t prohibit it. So, no need to go N-reg, or some other reg whose papers don’t prohibit IFR, for the Lancair, anymore.

As regards non-G-reg but EU-reg homebuilts, hmmm, one needs to go through those other threads e.g. do a search on homebuilt or homebuilts. I seem to recall the UK has a 6 month limit, like most countries.

This post contains some links to other threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This will benefit us as we are one of the test aircraft.

At the moment the biggest benefit to me will be getting in and out of the Channel Islands and getting an IFR clearance into and out of the zone.

I am also looking forward to working out the possibilities and legalities of operating IFR outside of the UK, but as Peter says it is not easy to collate accurate information.

If people are interested I will report back, periodically, here.

Some think it will be only a few people that take up this option, it remains to be seen how “useful” and “workable” it is.

The one great thing is that it give’s us a legal way to operate when the weather doesn’t permit VFR.

Hampshire

I will definitely be taking a serious look at having the Falco accepted; that will release an enormous amount of potential in my aircraft.

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

We have had many threads on this topic previously but I don’t recall whether the UK prohibits IFR in UK airspace in noncertified aircraft

I’m thinking about aircraft visiting the UK of course. According to the LAA here, they link to the UK CAA.

General Exemption – E 3363
General Exemption for Foreign Registered Home-built Aircraft
1) In order to facilitate over-flight and visits to the UK by foreign registered home-built
aircraft, the Civil Aviation Authority, in exercise of its powers under Article 242 of the Air
Navigation Order 2009, exempts, subject to paragraph 2, any home-built aircraft
registered in a Member State of the European Civil Aviation Conference from the
provisions of Article 16 of the said Order.
Conditions of Exemption
2) This exemption is granted subject to the following conditions:
a) The aircraft is flown under and in accordance with a valid Permit to Fly or
equivalent document issued by the State of Registry.
b) The aircraft must not be flown for the purpose of public transport or aerial work.
c) The aircraft must be flown by day only and in accordance with the Visual Flight
Rules
d) The aircraft must not remain in the United Kingdom pursuant to this exemption for
a period of more than 28 consecutive days in any one visit, without the prior
permission of the CAA.
e) The owner of the aircraft must ensure that the documents specified in Schedule 1
to this exemption are valid and available for inspection by the CAA on demand
when the aircraft is in the UK.
3) The exemption to Article 16 of the Air Navigation Order 2009 dated 26 February 2010 is
hereby revoked.
4) This exemption shall have effect from the date below until revoked.

This doesn’t look too optimistic. It means UK homebuilt aircraft can fly IFR in Norway and Sweden for instance, but Norwegian and Swedish aircraft cannot fly IFR in the UK. Are any changes to this proposed?

Last Edited by LeSving at 03 Dec 10:34
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Teal – I would be very interested in such periodical reports about your experiences of IFR-flying.

I guess that almost no one – in case of a ramp check – will know about the legal side of operating an Experimental in the appropriate country. The more so when there is no such limitation contained in the operating limitations of the aircraft.

EDLE

To get a Falco cleared, the aircraft type needs to be test flown by a “suitable” Test Pilot…then you need to get your aircraft to the required state, fill in a lot of paperwork and get the clearance.

Hampshire

I have this from someone close to the action:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder if someone (owner or ‘new class of inspector’) has to show compliance to AMC20-28 for LPV or similar requirements for other PBN navigation approvals? After all, if your now sharing controlled airspace with other users then position accuracy becomes much more critical.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message