Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why has the RV been such a success?

Yes I know, just in case Peter wants the 4-seats & IFR for Greece
Altough he needs to PPR for IFR permits !

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jun 08:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Altough he needs to PPR for IFR permits !

No need for that, since it’s EASA-IFR-certified according to the Ad
Edit – forgot that the UK won’t be EASA any longer…

Last Edited by europaxs at 24 Jun 08:59
EDLE

That one is an RV10

€380k? What do people think of this price? Is this guy getting divorced and has put the plane up for sale, to make his soon to be ex wife feel better than her soon to be ex husband is going to live in the gutter (standard tactic for getting a more amicable divorce; you start with not shaving and being quite smelly when you collect the kids)

Quite a few “permit” planes are IFR certified. Many examples posted in the “homebuilt IFR” threads. Some in France, some in Germany, this one is Lithuania.

But it is easy to claim this in the advertisement – because most people have no idea what it actually means.

The problem is that most countries do not allow permit IFR in their airspace. In most cases, no permission is possible. One guy I know got his G-reg RV IFR certified (he was one of the first ones under the UK LAA IFR programme) and then tried to get the permits. He got it from France but not from Germany. Quite funny since Germany has loads of N-reg homebuilts; see below. Then he gave up flying…

The matrix of what you can legally do is complicated and nobody will have the enthusiasm to compile it, out of mostly hard to find national regs. The matrix of what you can practically do is easy: you can fly anywhere because nobody enforces it – until somebody does, or until there is an incident. “Permit” is a big quid pro quo (wonderful for many, useless for others) and you need to be aware of that. Most permit owners don’t want to dig into this area; best to leave the sleeping dog alone. So why am I posting about it? Because I know people who bought them, for not small amounts of money, and then discovered the limitations…

UK in or out of EASA is nothing to do with this. Airspace privileges for non-ICAO types are within national sovereignity. A “homebuilt” is legal for IFR if

• its permit does not stipulate “VFR-only”; most do, but e.g. no N-reg ones do
  • the airspace allows is
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Prob99,99 it was built for hire (the builder makes it a living) IMO.

What do you think of the -9 ?
If airspace was easier, you could do EGKA-Greece direct, VFR on top. You would find some clear sky somewhere over the aegean

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Jun 09:17
LFOU, France

Yes; great range

The RV is popular for very good reasons.

It is also great for IFR (which implies IMC, despite the UK LAA’s pretence – discussed elsewhere – that lightning is a negligible risk, and anyway in IMC you will quickly lose radio comms due to static, unless the whole plane is bonded, or made of metal… as many have found out) and this is great in the US where you can do it anywhere.

EGKA-LGKR (Corfu) is ~1150nm on a validated Eurocontrol route. I was going to do this flight one day, just for the record, but the alternates are poor. With 30kt tailwind it would work well.

To do UK-Greece practically, today, you need to reach Crete (~1400nm) with reserves. A TBM can do that (1800nm to empty tanks).

It is funny to read in that Vans thread the standard question “How did your bladder last that long?”. People have absolutely no idea how easy it is to solve this, and how necessary a solution is to actually go anywhere useful (further than one can drive)

You think the builder is a serial builder-to-order? That is not uncommon, though they like to keep a low profile. It is a good way to get a well built homebuilt plane; most builders only ever build the one, have had problems learning how to rivet, etc, and struggle to finish it.

Administrator

Most get the trick at the 10th rivet, which lets the last 99,9999% well done, or re-done

Good builders say learning to drill and replace a rivet is even more important than riveting, because you must not be afraid to replace any non-perfect rivet.
Human factors !

LFOU, France

Yes indeed.

One expert builder told me that 1st time builders are advised to start on the tail, for which the parts are (apparently; I have no idea myself) available quite cheaply, so if you make a bad job of it you just buy a new sub-kit, and this is intentional.

I think how good you are depends on, ahem, how good you are with “mechanical things”. I know people who can fly but who could not install a pop rivet

Administrator

If you mess up, you can order any replacement part (skin, rib, stiffener, flange, you name it). No need to order a new sub kit
A new skin will typically cost less than its shipping to Europe.

LFOU, France

Yep, just messed up a fuselage bulkhead. If I repair it, the LAA mod fee approval fee will probably be GBP 60 (~USD 85). A new bulkhead from Vans costs just USD 18 and no LAA approval is needed. You can buy literally any individual airframe part from Vans for very reasonable money. Most of them are made inhouse on automated punching machines.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Vans is reporting that kit orders are up 250% on 2 years ago link.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one