Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Microlight / Ultralight up to 600 kg MTOW

MedFlyer wrote:

Is there any “real” structural difference between the UL and the VLA-LSA category in modern factory made EU aircraft ?

There may or there may not be. Usually not, but there is no golden rule here.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Any manufacturer would prefer not to have any difference, just for their own interest. it’s better to have only one production line with no differences as much as possible, even knowing that airplane manufacturing is somewhat an artisanal activity.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

More nails in the coffin (or larger wings for the “masses” depending on your point of view ) It’s now decided that each EASA member country can regulate aircraft with MTOW up to 600 kg using national regulations. Basically opening up for microlights to have MTOW 600 kg, making them true two seaters with range and luggage. How each nation’s CAA chose to deal with that remains to be seen though.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

…making them true two seaters with range and luggage

True engines as well ?
Michel

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

Any reference LeSving? This thing was supposed to be decided late 2018 at the earliest, so has it been brought forward (unlikely in EU-matters)?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Here, end of page 4.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

While the compromise on the 600kg stops short of our initial position, which called for all
aircraft up to 600kg to be regulated nationally, it is a good and workable compromise

Thanks LeSving.

I’m not sure what this particular paragraph means at the end of the article, but I assume this includes the 600 kg issue?

Finally, it is important to recall that all these issues will only become applicable after agreement has been found on many other (unrelated) items – so that the revised Basic Regulation can be adopted and published. This process could easily take another year.

I learned a long time ago that a deal has been done when the money is in the bank ;)

Last Edited by aart at 11 Nov 21:01
Private field, Mallorca, Spain
While the compromise on the 600kg stops short of our initial position, which called for all
aircraft up to 600kg to be regulated nationally, it is a good and workable compromise. It
will benefit the air sports community by empowering the Member States to make a decision
to regulate aeroplanes, helicopters and sailplanes between 450kg and 600kg (650kg for
seaplanes) MTOM nationally. Making use of this option is often referred to as the “opt-out”.

All aircraft already covered by Annex II (soon I) of the Basic Regulation will continue to be
regulated nationally by default. The agreement represents the politically possible, after
various influential Member States had strongly opposed national regulation up to 600kg.
The alternative would have been no regulatory changes to this class of aircraft.

What that means (according to my understanding) is that there is no automatic increase in the MTOW by EASA for microlight (as defined by EASA in Annex II), but each member state can chose to regulate airplanes between 450 and 600 kg nationally. How this will work out is up to each member state. As I understood “various influential Member States” means essentially France. In practice it means it is up to each member state to chose how to handle LSA (also US, Australian and so on), as well as heavier microlights.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

each member state can chose to regulate airplanes between 450 and 600 kg nationally. How this will work out is up to each member state

That’s what I read too, and I find it disappointing and counter-productive.

• Disappointing because it seems obvious they could not come to a concensus so they let all and sundry have it their own way
  • Counter-productive because the outcome is unavoidable: some countries will sito presto allow ultralights to have 600 kg MTOW – Germany first of all, I should think, under heavy pressure from the pilot community – others (France, and probably Belgium too, in the wake) will stubbornly keep what they have. The next step is that France will no longer allow free entry of German ultralights. Who asked for that?
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message