Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair Evolution gets a piston engine

here

Putting in a big old piston engine, even with electronic ignition, is the last thing I would do, but I guess at just over half the price there is a market for it.

The issues with flying around Europe are just the same however…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You missed the key word: April 1st

United Kingdom

See the Lancair forum (registration required) if you’re interested in the EVO piston project….

Bordeaux

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think, for Europe, you may as well buy a piston PA46 and then you have a certified plane which can go anywhere, and is still below 2000kg.

The engine reliability is probably going to be similar.

Administrator

Lancair announced at Sun-n-Fun Florida their latest Evolution, which uses a turbo charged Lycoming FADEC (single lever) IO540 engine.

This experimental (ie home built) aircraft can do 240 knots, 1800 mile range, 2200 fpm initial climb, 350 horsepower.
Fuel consumption in the cruise is 12 gallons (45 litres) for 232 knots at FL190.
The aircraft is pressurised.

The FADEC automatically adjusts the mixture for each cylinder individually to ensure its all fully balanced, so no need for GAMI injectors or a manual mixture control.
You just set it for best power or best economy as you prefer.

It was said that Lancair are seeing more market interest in Turbo Piston than Turbo Prop models.

Perhaps a potential engine for Peter when his TB20 reaches TBO?

[ post moved to the existing thread ]

Last Edited by DavidC at 12 Apr 11:13
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

45l/232kt is impressive. To bad it’s over 2000kg. Would it make any sense for Lancair to get the piston model certified? Is it possible? To expensive?

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

No. Hardly. Yes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jonas wrote:

To bad it’s over 2000kg

For an experimental aircraft you can set the MTOW yourself. The evolution (piston included) is only a few kg over 2000 kg with factory spec (64 kg to be exact). This will decrease the load from 825 kg to 762 kg, and this is with BRS included. With 4 occupants (100 kg each) you still have more than 362 kg for fuel. I wouldn’t call that a show stopper exactly.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A > 2000kg SEP would not sell in Europe, because the route charges would add (of the order of) 50 quid an hour to the direct operating cost.

Unless it could be STCs below 2000kg, like the Seneca or the Meridian. The latter is over MTOW with full tanks and nobody inside

Administrator
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message