Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

O2 question

Hello,

digging this older Thread up again

I was just again looking at various costant flow systems and have following question.
If I compare the following http://www.medequipdepot.com/products/18307g-drive-medical-cga-540-pediatric-oxygen-regulator-0-4-lpm-diss-outlet.html
for about USD 50

to something like this http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+SkyOx-Oxygen-Accessories-SKYOX-Outlet-Regulator+8036
for about Sterling 230

apart from a 2-port outlet in compare to a 1-port outlet and a slightly fine regulation on flowadjustment i there a differance in using it?

or do I oversee anything??

fly2000

Welders oxygen is no different than oxygen from a medical supply or that sold at an FBO if you want to save money.

Peter_Paul wrote:

the few times I tried to get clearance I had no luck

I wonder where and why you got denied? After all, that airspace is by and large an empty void at those levels – apart from some TMAs, of course.

lenthamen wrote:

Personally I don’t know any VFR pilot that do cross country flying VFR on oxygen.

That is incorrect, you know me. Granted, I don’t do it “all the time”, but when the mission requires it, why would I not use oxygen? Has nothing to do with flight rules. Crossing Frankfurt is one example (unless you want to fly an annoying low-level detour with annoyingly smallish corridors of terrain/airspace in some areas), crossing the Alps another, crossing water bodies another (if you want more glide range).

Out of four requests to cross Frankfurt that I’ve witnessed or flown myself, three have been granted and for the fourth, ATC did their best to accommodate us (@europaxs flying), but it was just too busy so they called us back with a denial after checking.

Last Edited by Patrick at 11 Jan 16:03
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

lenthamen wrote:

IFR you don’t get clearances for each controlled airspace you’re crossing. Instead you get a “Cleared to destination” at the beginning of the flight.
Yes, but if they don’t want you in some part of your planned route, they will re-route you.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

europaxs wrote:

I guess even when flying IFR.

IFR you don’t get clearances for each controlled airspace you’re crossing.
Instead you get a “Cleared to destination” at the beginning of the flight.

You’ll get an error if you try to file a flightplan below FL140 over Frankfurt.

Flyer59 wrote:

All you need is a clearance, and away from the big hubs you always get it, at least I always did

Even when crossing the Frankfurt TMA they’ll often rather have you >FL100 than at or below FL100. But of course in such a busy airspace a clearance is all but guaranteed, I guess even when flying IFR.

BTW I use the MH O2D2 with a 2 Liter aluminum cylinder and this lasts for several hours in the mid teen FL, even with 2 POB.

Last Edited by europaxs at 11 Jan 12:00
EDLE

No problem flying VFR + FL100 in Germany, I do it all the time, like when I fly home from CZ and can’t get on top below FL100. All you need is a clearance, and away from the big hubs you always get it, at least I always did.

I have the portable MH system in the Cirrus plus one O2D2. It is all you will need, and with the O2D2 even the small bottle lasts a long time if it’s for two people. You also need a good Pulsoximeter, you can get those on ebay and amazon for little money, they’re just as good as the ones from the pilot shop …

Aviathor wrote:

This is what I got:
Description: (2) EDS-O2D2-2G with CFFC-048 carbon fiber cylinder and FPR-540 regulator.

So you got a kit withe everything in it? Do you have to add some parts or does it really have all you need?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Personally I don’t know any VFR pilot that do cross country flying VFR on oxygen.

I suppose one reason is that airspace clearance isn’t guaranteed under VFR. So you can spend 30 minutes climbing up and then when you go to transit some airspace, it’s denied and you’re left orbiting in a descent to get below that airspace. Probably don’t that often denied at such altitudes though.

This can be more of a problem in the UK, where there are plenty of Class A airways where you can’t even request a transit through them, so you’ve no choice be desend again.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter_Paul wrote:

for refilling can it be done with a diving air compressor or does it need to be medical O2

Pure O2

Vladimir wrote:

Do you have links to the parts you are mentioning so that we can see what they look like and maybe what they cost approximately?

This is what I got:
Description: (2) EDS-O2D2-2G with CFFC-048 carbon fiber cylinder and FPR-540 regulator.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Jan 11:01
LFPT, LFPN
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message