Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old is better than

RobertL18C wrote:

The Aeronca Chief is a great vintage two seater that delivers an honest 75KTAS and is wonderfully cheap to operate. In fact my hangar neighbour has a very happy syndicate around one of these types, and they budget £30-40 per hour on Mogas.

Chiefs are very slow but fairly roomy, completely honest and typically dirt cheap to buy and run. IIRC there are two variants, pre-war and post-war, that differ enough to be noteworthy. Probably most important is to get a Continental engine not a 65 HP Lycoming, which for a lot of good reasons (for example integral case and cylinders) is an engine that nobody wants.

I once knew an retired gent with a fairly clean looking 85 HP Chief, it performed about like a Luscombe on 65 HP. Regardless, and in spite of the plane’s image as the most basic and unambitious of planes, i.e. not glamorous, he flew it several times a week and managed to take a string of attractive women along for rides. Watching people come and go at his little Port-a-Port hangar made me smile, but they all seemed to be enjoying themselves

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jan 20:51

Not being able to retire for lack of funds….

Tököl LHTL

Botham?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Flounce?

On a phone, when logged in, the OP title will read “old is better than New” due to the forum adding “New” behind threads with unread posts. Was this the whole joke? Did I get it first?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

BTW why does “New Post” list the possible categories, I thought it was meant to list all the most recent posts on the forum, in all categories? This would be a very useful feature.

I read Peter’s link.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Fuji, that’s what “Latest Posts” does. “New Post” is because people complained they couldn’t find how to add new posts.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message