Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old is better than

Fuji, that’s what “Latest Posts” does. “New Post” is because people complained they couldn’t find how to add new posts.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I read Peter’s link.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

BTW why does “New Post” list the possible categories, I thought it was meant to list all the most recent posts on the forum, in all categories? This would be a very useful feature.

On a phone, when logged in, the OP title will read “old is better than New” due to the forum adding “New” behind threads with unread posts. Was this the whole joke? Did I get it first?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Flounce?

Botham?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Not being able to retire for lack of funds….

Tököl LHTL

RobertL18C wrote:

The Aeronca Chief is a great vintage two seater that delivers an honest 75KTAS and is wonderfully cheap to operate. In fact my hangar neighbour has a very happy syndicate around one of these types, and they budget £30-40 per hour on Mogas.

Chiefs are very slow but fairly roomy, completely honest and typically dirt cheap to buy and run. IIRC there are two variants, pre-war and post-war, that differ enough to be noteworthy. Probably most important is to get a Continental engine not a 65 HP Lycoming, which for a lot of good reasons (for example integral case and cylinders) is an engine that nobody wants.

I once knew an retired gent with a fairly clean looking 85 HP Chief, it performed about like a Luscombe on 65 HP. Regardless, and in spite of the plane’s image as the most basic and unambitious of planes, i.e. not glamorous, he flew it several times a week and managed to take a string of attractive women along for rides. Watching people come and go at his little Port-a-Port hangar made me smile, but they all seemed to be enjoying themselves

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jan 20:51

Not sure if this is in the correct neighbourhood but one of my favourite old timers popped up on Plane-check.

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=39217

The Aeronca Chief is a great vintage two seater that delivers an honest 75KTAS and is wonderfully cheap to operate. In fact my hangar neighbour has a very happy syndicate around one of these types, and they budget £30-40 per hour on Mogas.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message