Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Out of date charts for sale

We discussed this here recently, and 1 or 2 people didn’t believe me

I took these pics today – a major pilot shop

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is astonishing – especially as any Jeppesen dealer could have returned the outdated charts for a full credit. The price is pretty amazing too – these charts should be around £10.50

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Pilot shops should not be allowed to sell these. Someone may think these are the latest updates or something. Fine for the Flight Sim community / eBay, but not in a pilot shop really.

You can’t blame them for the 2012 UK and France Jepp VFR charts…they are the “latest edition”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think you can. I believe that the retailer has a responsibility towards his customers. There are current charts available so unless customers are specifically warned they are buying out of date charts I don’t think it is justifiable to sell them. It is painfull to chuck away a couple of grands worth of charts every year but it is all in the game.

Yes, but as you know, Jepp never published 2013 charts for UK and France.

A 2012 chart is technically no more or less outdated than a 2013 chart after the first subsequent AIRAC cycle.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Dec 21:59

Actually I don’t think a single chart in that box was later than 2012.

However this is IME normal for around here, because almost nobody flies VFR past Le Touquet, so not a lot of these charts get sold.

The IFR charts are way more out of date but again I think most people flying IFR are getting theirs from elsewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can’t blame them for the 2012 UK and France Jepp VFR charts…they are the “latest edition”.

How long would you consider it reasonable to keep selling them as “latest edition”?

Are they still publishing manual updates. Their website says you can “download updates from this site” but I can’t find any. So perhaps the updates are gone, perhaps not.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Latest (last) edition ot not, how can you, with a clear conscience, knowingly supply your customers with charts which do not reflect the current situation?

Again: this applies to every chart, as soon as it it published!

I find it amuing how for example most PPLs in Germany buy their 1:500000s in March or so of every year and then, in February of the year after happily rely on it without without giving any thoughts to possible changes. They think “it’s the current chart, so I am covered…”

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message