Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Out of date charts for sale

I think they have made a mistake for sure, but it is their call.

United Kingdom

I fully embrace the advances in avionics but always have a paper chart as back up.

I think Jepp made a mistake getting out of the paper business and not providing a usable hard copy facility in JeppFD.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If Jepp really do provide 100% stock protection then there is no reason for anybody to stock anything other than the latest charts.

Do they provide that, on all charts?

Certainly all vfr charts. My surplus IFR charts I stamp NOT FOR OPERATIONAL USE and donate to the local flight sim club

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Agreed. Electronic charts have a lot going for them. But paper charts do, too.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I find it amuing how for example most PPLs in Germany buy their 1:500000s in March or so of every year and then, in February of the year after happily rely on it without without giving any thoughts to possible changes. They think “it’s the current chart, so I am covered…”

This is where paper charts begin to be unreliable solely for 100% reliable planning and navigation. I got todays updates from the UK CAA. I cant permanently alter everything that has changed and draw on the new features or delete the old ones, but if I dont then I might inadvertently fly into the new gas venting station. Thats why using one of the VFR (in my case) planning tools like SD or Pocket FMS is highly desirable.

We both know that over the course of a year there will be changes – some major and some minor so they should at the very least come with a health warning. Why any self respecting pilot would knowingly buy an outdated chart is beyond me but perhaps you are right – some people just do not care. This is probably a sympton of the iPAD era when pilots are more prepared to rely on electronics. Me – I am just a dinosaur. I fully embrace the advances in avionics but always have a paper chart as back up.

Maybe we misunderstood. The above was merely a general remark on how paper charts “work” and how pilots misunderstand the concept.

Back to these specific case above, I do think that pilot shops should in some way mark these charts with a red “2012” sticker or so. Maybe even give a bit of a rebate.

But I think that in this particular circumstance (i.e. Jeppesen dropping out of the paper market), they shouldn’t totally withdraw the “latest ones” from sale yet. Someone might want to buy them.

Again: a 2013 chart is principally no less outdated than its 2012 edition. Obviously this doesn’t mean I recommend flying with 2012 charts when a 2013 is available, as the chances for discrepancies are higher on the older one.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Dec 08:57

If Jepp really do provide 100% stock protection then there is no reason for anybody to stock anything other than the latest charts.

Do they provide that, on all charts?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK – you and I just have different views ongood business ethics so we should leave it at that

Again: this applies to every chart, as soon as it it published!

I find it amuing how for example most PPLs in Germany buy their 1:500000s in March or so of every year and then, in February of the year after happily rely on it without without giving any thoughts to possible changes. They think “it’s the current chart, so I am covered…”

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message