Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overfly or land in Turkey

When overflying Turkey, put in RMK field “PRIVATE FLIGHT” (if that is the status of your flight), else the AIS will contact you to ask “what is the reason for this ECAC flight”.

ELLX

Relevant BRIEFING BULLETIN by Jepp …
http://www.jeppesen.com/download/briefbull/fra99-a.pdf local copy

Last Edited by petakas at 09 Nov 16:58
LGMG Megara, Greece

@Snoopy

Overflying the north part of Cyprus might be problematic, if your path crosses that area.

Check this: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/33937/what-are-interesting-cases-of-atc-agreements-between-countries/33952#33952

ESME, ESMS

Even though I know from our email communication, for the forum readers’ sake, stake if it is “ECAC member state” aircraft registration (i.e. European) or N’reg.
I am not sure if this affects the issue but I thought of it as a “for the record” thing.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Is it possible to overfly turkey ifr (bulgaria-cyprus) or will that be a problem?

always learning
LO__, Austria

ICAO may not care about state aircraft (as noted in the convention) but it allows states to request extra measures if they believe that they are needed (eg for safety reasons regarding civil aircraft). But this can happen only between neighbors that want to talk to each other…

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

petakas wrote:

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_dispute#Flight_Information_Regions
It does not give the responsible state the right to prohibit flights by foreign aircraft; however, foreign aircraft are obliged to submit flight plans to the authorities administrating the FIR.

Civil aircraft yes, but I don’t believe it applies to state aircraft. When there is a major military air exercise over international waters in the Baltic, Swedish authorities are quick to point out in NOTAMs that in accordance with international law military aircraft may fly in controlled airspace over international waters without the knowledge of ATC.

Usually this is done in a responsible manner, but there was a big fuss the other year when a Russian aircraft flew in areas of intense civil traffic southeast of Denmark without its transponder on. The Swedish air defense (which of course has primary radar) called up the civil ATC to pass traffic information… The Russians said they were in their right and no one disputed that — it was just considered grossly irresponsible.

(And, for the record, I don’t have any opinon on the Greek-Turkish territorial conflict as such.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Jun 16:59
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well the request is due to the FIR, not depending on whether it’s international airspace or not. Greece wants to know who is entering the FIR and who is flying inside, so it scrambles the Air Force to see what that radar target is. When the jets come close to each other things happen. But international waters also come into the equation, since they are also disputed (actually lots of things are being disputed). It’s a mess. And sorry, no politics discussions for me on any forum, so that’s my 2 cents.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Airborne_Again wrote:

Greek law obviously doesn’t apply to foreign military in international airspace.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_dispute#Flight_Information_Regions

An FIR may stretch beyond the national airspace of a country, i.e. over areas of high seas, or in some cases even over the airspace of another country. It does not give the responsible state the right to prohibit flights by foreign aircraft; however, foreign aircraft are obliged to submit flight plans to the authorities administrating the FIR. Two separate disputes have arisen over flight control in the Aegean: the issue of a unilaterally proposed revision of the FIR demarcation, and the question of what rights and obligations arise from the FIR with respect to military as opposed to civil flights.

LGMG Megara, Greece

atmilatos wrote:

In Hellas FIR every flight must submit a flight plan. It’s in the law.

Greek law obviously doesn’t apply to foreign military in international airspace.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message