Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PART-FCL and English

Hi there,

As we know, previous JAR licence did not include ICAO english level qualification. But the new PART-FCL contains cetificate details and it’s expiration date. What was the reason to include this details to license? Does it actualy mean, that if I did not update such information with new certificate, I’m not allowed to visit controlled airspace? Even if I have this certificate in my flight bag?

Last Edited by pshz at 01 Oct 14:33
EVCA

My JAR licence did have ICAO english level, as well as my part FCL printed yesterday. I think ICAO is about flying abroad, there is no link to flying in controlled airspace no matter if home or not.

LKKU, LKTB

My JAR licence had my ICAO English level on it too.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The requirement for ELP originated with ICAO and was finally mandated in April 2008. The UK added it to new JAA licences from around 2006 and anyone who completed a proficiency check or skill test from that time could have it anotated on the test record by the Examiner. In 2008 the CAA reissued all licences with ELP recorded on them in accordance with the ICAO recomendation. The entry in the licence did not record the level or any expiry date.

The EASA regulation required the level and expiry date which was added to all new licences. It seems the CAA had been rather tardy in their records as virtually every pilot with a UK licence would have held an ELP at that point but most seem to get lost. All UK FRTOL holders were granted a Level 4 which had a validity of 3 years at the ed of which a further assessment became necessary despite the fact that many had already been done.
Under EASA regulation, if you do not have ELP in your licence, you may not use the radio. I have been signing of ELP Level 6 for the past 9 years so I find it hard to believe that there are still pilots who have somehow not completed this.

I did not have ELP at all until I came to the JAA IR skills test in Jan 2012 when the examiner (CAA staff examiner) discovered I had no ELP, so he signed me off there and then. So I too slipped through the net somehow…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

we need to look at the history – there are two different fields on our licences – field XII – “Radiotelephony rights” and field XIII “Remarks”- where ICAO level is written.Years ago all you need to fly legally outside your country was to have “English” in the field XII. You were granted this after you passed the exam at the local CAA – at least for CZ it worked this way. around 2007 or 2008 when ICAO ELP was implemented somebody decided to put this into field XIII – Remarks but didn´t eliminate requirement to have it in the field XII. In my opinion while flying outside you home country you need to have ICAO ELP so the enty in the field XII is kind of redundant.

LKKU, LKTB

What’s ELP ??

As mentioned though, if you have no valid LPR you are not allowed to talk in the machine
In France we get Level 6 FR LPR so that’s covered for national flights. It is probably the same in UK with EN.
(Actually just found out that I have a FR VFR level 6 )

I also have a LPR level 6 EN (VFR) and will have to pass a 055d shortly (which probably won’t be level 6) so I will have 4 lines on my FR licence:
FR VFR level 6
FR IFR level 6 (hopefully, I have to find out how to get that one…)
EN VFR level 6
EN IFR level n (n<6) (with a date of expiration somewhere)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

PapaPapa wrote:

What’s ELP ??
English Language Proficiency, I guess. (Probably not this, although that was my first association. Shows how old I am. )

I also have a LPR level 6 EN (VFR) and will have to pass a 055d shortly (which probably won’t be level 6) so I will have 4 lines on my FR licence:
FR VFR level 6
EN VFR level 6

France distinguishes between VFR and IFR language proficiency?

My license (Swedish) makes no such distinction. Not for radiotelephony privileges either. AFAIU the language proficiency as such shouldn’t depend on flight rules, and unless you have passed an IR R/T test, you won’t get the IR rating on you license,

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Oct 10:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As AA correctly states, ELP is English Language Proficiency.

The Acceptable means of compliance are shown in AMC Part FCL 055. AMC 1 shows the assessment, and AMC2 shows the rating system.

AMC 3 is the IR element, and it does differ (and is allowed to) between states. In essence you can either:
Do the IR skills test and your IR theoretical examinations in English and an MCC or MP skills test in English

Or; pass an examination set by your National Aviation Authority after a specific training course.

My NAA (CZ) requires the examination (I believe not all do, but happy to be corrected). When we applied for our ATO to become an ICAO English assessment centre we also applied to be able to teach that IFR course. It was submitted to the CAA CZ for approval, and accepted. So we can now teach for IFR English and assess for ICAO English.

JTN
LKLT

Airborne_Again wrote:

AFAIK, VFR R/T may be conducted in English, or in the language of the country where the flight takes place, or both. It’s an option for each country to decide what to allow/require. But IFR R/T is always in English.

So your LPF (Language Proficiency – French) would naturally be limited to VFR, and no LPF-IFR would be available. Also, you cannot get an IR added to your license without having an LPE (Language Proficiency – English) of at least level 4.

EN VFR level 6

I have never seen a distinction between LPE VFR and LPE IFR. So while your LPF may be limited to VFR only (for the reasons above), as soon as you have an LPE, it would be valid for both VFR and IFR flight.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 22 Oct 11:31
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message