Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please do not post images hosted on Dropbox

There are two problems with this:

EuroGA is read by 500-1000 people per day and – looking at the subjects accessed – most of them are real pilots. So your file is likely to get accessed hundreds of times just on Day 1. Unless you are paying serious money for your Dropbox account (and most people use the free one) the account will get terminated within hours. Dropbox is extremely aggressive on this, as I have found out to my cost. They might block access to the file or they might just block your whole account. They are very unpredictable.

One day you will be doing housecleaning and will delete the file(s) and then anyone reading your posting will see a broken link. For this reason alone, most Dropbox links go dead within a few days or at most weeks. One gets the same problem with Flickr, Photobucket and every other image hosting site…

Dragging and dropping files to EuroGA directly is the best way by far. It preserves the value of our site as a great informational resource. The details are under Posting Tips.

Also, the EuroGA server reduces any images wider than 925 pixels down to 925 pixels (the forum width) so everyone reading the forum will be served with optimally sized image files, whereas if you host say a 10MB image file on another site then everybody reading EuroGA will have to download that entire 10MB file, which is very slow even if their browser reduces it to 925 pixels for display.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I feel guilty as I was posting a image hosted on Dropbox
The reason I used Dropbox is because I was posting from my mobile phone, and I don’t have the Upload Image function in Safari.

IOS can drag-drop from the Camera Roll.

Android similar but with many more options. Example with my S6:

Just create a post as you normally would in your phone browser and press the Upload Image button.

The only thing I can report is that Firefox on Android fails to upload images after the first one.

Administrator

Peter,
how do you drag/drop from the iPhone camera roll? I have no idea how that works!

I can’t see an image upload button in Safari.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Aug 03:37

When you go to EuroGA with your Iphone (I don’t have one here so can’t try it, and the Ipad is hiding somewhere) you should see this button

When you click on it, a menu of some sort should pop up. On my Android phone I get this

and clicking Browse beings up this

which will be phone dependent according to which apps are registered to generate files.

So, you are right, one cannot drag/drop. Obviously drag/drop is impossible on any computer which runs all programs full-screen (IOS or Android). Drag/drop is possible only on operating systems which allow programs to be resized. I was wrong when I said IOS can “drag/drop” from the Camera Roll. But it can upload from it easily.

Administrator

Negative I’m afraid. The toolbar is completely absent on the iPhone:-

Last Edited by stevelup at 25 Aug 07:32

I don’t have a toolbar either. iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.1
I remember it used to be there some time ago.

Yes there is – sent from my iPhone 6 iOS 8.4.1

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 25 Aug 10:51
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

What browser do you use @Peter_Mundy ? I tried it in Safari.

Chrome

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message