Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Police check on pilots departing before filed EOBT

More discussion here on police rules of engagement and weapon usage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

They mentioned that although possible, not to file ATC flight plans more than 24h before EOBT because they might get lost.

VFR flight plans, I guess. IFR flight plans are handled by the Eurocontrol IFPS and there is no manual processing that can lose them.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AIP for flying some remote low level VFR routes in NW Africa, you need to send FPL 24H earlier, the FPL itself may get lost on the next day when their computer gets restarted at night and you will be asked to file a new one on paper on the day, however, the goal of 24H FPL notice is to wake up someone to open some tower along your route, he needs to be physically present there as you call on RT to give you airport QNH & WX as you overfly him, 24h PPR for VFR overflying of an en-route airport using your FPL, clever stuff hein

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 11:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Peter, my theory is the police showed up because anyone who files FPs 4 days before departure must be either a) up to no good; or b) not of sound mind. :)

We had a visit from the Swedish ANS to the club a few years ago. They mentioned that although possible, not to file ATC flight plans more than 24h before EOBT because they might get lost.

ESME, ESMS

I tend to do it when going on a trip without a laptop. It is a lot easier to delay an FP than to create a new one and it would be much more so if the Autorouter just happened to be down. I know most of us rely on it way too much.

Administrator

Peter, my theory is the police showed up because anyone who files FPs 4 days before departure must be either a) up to no good; or b) not of sound mind. :)

Tököl LHTL

I have had a couple more occassions which show how this can happen.

Last year, I diverted (for fuel) to a certain French airport. It is 24hr PNR so (I had a French speaking passenger) this was discussed with the guy behind the desk and he suggested we just pretend we never landed there. Well, given the above described and quite nasty “Avignon experience” I wasn’t keen on taking the chance, so my passenger phoned the police right there. They said they were not interested in seeing us, so on we went, all good.

Today I had something similar. Landed at another French airport. While paying the landing fee and fuel, I remarked that I need to see the police. The clerk said they have gone home and are not interested. Again I was not so keen on that, and sure enough while still paying for the stuff a policewoman walks in to check me So I wonder what would have happened if I had paid more quickly and was about to depart, and maybe she was a bit slower (or decided to make a point, like I believe those at Avignon did)? I started up about 20 mins before the filed EOBT.

Administrator

FUD, Peter. Nothing happened except from you trying to depart early. Period. Just let that be a lesson to anyone with a prior notice.

That was a very fast phone call you made there!

Many thanks for the clarification.

Administrator

FUD, Peter. Nothing happened except from you trying to depart early. Period. Just let that be a lesson to anyone with a prior notice.

The only thing that surprises me is that they were on the movement area without communication with ATC, or high viz jackets. The other days I chatted with the firemen at LFPT who told me they were not allowed onto the movement area when the tower was unmanned. So having policemen out there with the tower manned is surprising.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Nov 18:20
LFPT, LFPN

I have received no reply from Avignon and it looks like there isn’t going to be one. I guess if someone wanted to find out what happened they would need to make a phone call in French. Personally I have no reason to go back there for the foreseeable future but it may be useful to others if one could find out what happened. OTOH they probably won’t discuss their internal politics on the phone…

Administrator
161 Posts
Sign in to add your message