Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prague LKPR finally gets LPV

The place of my birth, which had an ILS on every runway end since for ever, has just got LPVs for them all

200ft DH – no messing about here (unlike most of Europe)!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve long suspected you were born in an airport, possible on an active runway…

Is there any way to see the status of LPV implementation for the rest of Europe?

LRIA, Romania

Are you looking for something like this: https://egnos-user-support.essp-sas.eu/new_egnos_ops/resources-tools/lpv-procedures-map?

For the next time, try the first result (ironic, cause I knew this map exists): https://lmgtfy.com/?q=lpv+approach+map+europe

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Unfortunately the map is reliable for existing LPV airports only. For most of the others they just change the date at the end of the year with next year (31/12/2019 will become 31/12/2020 and so on).

LRIA, Romania

An LPV map is at the start of this thread before it went off the rails

These maps all seem rather optimistic. Normally I look for EGKA and if it shows LPV then I know it’s junk

I think 23.5% of the EU budget is spent producing these maps…

Back to LKPR, actually I was born a little way up the road from the airport, and spent my first two years opposite a Russian-run prison which people left mostly in wooden boxes The reason I posted about LKPR LPV is because it is strange they took so long to implement it. They obviously have no shortage of money (masses of traffic) hence an ILS on every runway end, and everybody of relevance can fly an ILS so why bother with LPV? A 787 pilot posted here that a current 787 is not WAAS capable! Of course CAT3 needs an ILS, so GPS approaches are a bit superfluous for the big jet business. So I wonder why LKPR did it? Obviously they didn’t do it for light GA, of which virtually every European specimen that can fly LPV can fly an ILS also.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So I wonder why LKPR did it?

I was there several times and twice ILS was out of service for some maintenance. The weather was not so great with BKN010 and we all had to fly VOR approach. It’s probably too stressful for airliner pilots

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The airlines for the most part do not have SBAS approach capability and for the most part can’t use an LPV.

KUZA, United States

Indeed, which is why I am wondering why LKPR bothered? It costs a few hundred €/$ for GA to land there…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Indeed, which is why I am wondering why LKPR bothered?

I guess there’s some initiative of Eurocontrol for introducing RNAV approaches (including LPV) to the main European airports. Regarding airliners and LPV capability, I wouldn’t be so sure they don’t have one – it probably depends how old the aircrafts are. I remember when ILS was out of service at LDZA and I was #5 at RNAV approach, all four airliners in front of me were capable of flying RNAV approach although I can’t say if they were able for LPV.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airliners (and bizjets with Collins and similar kit) can fly a “virtual ILS” anywhere where an IAP is published.

They can fly them to a Greek island which has just an NDB IAP. The airliner will ask on the radio for whatever the published IAP is, but they will actually fly the synthetic version from their FMS.

That is how one used to fly an RNAV IAP with a KLN94 which was not approved for GPS approaches

So a non-WAAS airliner asking for an RNAV IAP will actually be flying the “synthetic ILS” on FMS guidance. Unless it has a 99 year old UK CAA examiner in the jump seat in which case they will be hand flying the SDFs while making “no ice” callouts every 1000ft

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message