Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PRNAV and PBN

Oh OK then. :)

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) 2016/1199 of 22 July 2016 makes the revisions discussed in other threads. It applies from 25 August 2016, the date Part-NCO comes into force.

The significant change is that:
SPA.PBN.100 PBN operations
Aircraft shall only be operated in designated airspace, on routes or in accordance with procedures where performance-based navigation (PBN) specifications are established if the operator has been granted an approval by the competent authority to conduct such operations. No specific approval is required for operations in area navigation 5 (RNAV5 (basic area navigation, B-RNAV)) designated airspace.

is replaced by:
SPA.PBN.100 PBN operations
An approval is required for each of the following PBN specifications:
RNP AR APCH; and
RNP 0.3 for helicopter operation.

in conjunction with

NCO.OP.116 Performance-based navigation — aeroplanes and helicopters

The pilot-in-command shall ensure that, when PBN is required for the route or procedure to be flown:
the relevant PBN navigation specification is stated in the AFM or other document that has been approved by the certifying authority as part of an airworthiness assessment or is based on such approval; and
the aircraft is operated in conformance with the relevant navigation specification and limitations in the AFM or other document mentioned above.

and an additional pre-flight responsibility that:

(vii) any navigational database required for PBN is suitable and current.

AMC/GM will follow shortly, setting out the operational procedures that should be followed when using PBN, as well as guidance on the AFM documentation required.

This therefore removes the need for an operational approval for RNAV 1 (PRNAV).

bookworm wrote:

This therefore removes the need for an operational approval for RNAV 1 (PRNAV).

But as a pilot you would still need appropriate training, right?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But as a pilot you would still need appropriate training, right?

Actually the legal requirement for training (“PBN privileges”) only comes in from August 2018 according to 2016/539. Obviously any sensible pilot is going to take steps to ensure their competence.

Bookworm,

Do you think there will be any chance for a provision that pilots with say 50 GPS approaches completed and logged in the past don’t need that bloody GPS approach training / endorsement?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Do you think there will be any chance for a provision that pilots with say 50 GPS approaches completed and logged in the past don’t need that bloody GPS approach training / endorsement?

That’s up to your NAA. 2016/539

3. The requirements of paragraph 2(a) and (b) shall be deemed to have been fulfilled where the competent authority considers that the competence acquired, either through training or from familiarity with PBN operations, is equivalent to the competence acquired through the courses referred to in paragraph 2(a) and (b) and the pilot demonstrates such competence to the satisfaction of the examiner at the proficiency check or skill test referred to in paragraph 2(c).

I have a meeting with my NAA on Monday to talk about how we do that.

The problem that I have encountered is that many examiners doing the annual revalidations are not familiar with the materia, means: not with GPS approaches in general and not with what they have to do to be able to sign that endorsement for you…

Presumably that’s the old German endorsement. These “PBN privileges” don’t come in until 2018.

Yes, but AOPA Germany is saying that if you have that ols endorsement, that will be considered fine and sufficient even after 2018. They say that is why one should get that ASAP, since the “real” training one would have to get after that time can only be a higher effort…

I am not so sure. Personally, I think they are fishing in murky waters but don’t really know what is going to happen. That PBN training thing is a real nuisance, at least for seasoned pilots…

bookworm wrote:

That’s up to your NAA.

I asked the Swedish CAA and their answer was essentially “It depends, we will publish guidance material in due course.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This just turned up in email, which may be relevant

Please note that the final deliverable ‘Revision of operational approval criteria for performance-based navigation (PBN)’, as well as the related CRD to NPA 2013-25 , have been published on the EASA website.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message