Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Procedure to obtain a BZF for EASA PPL holders (flying into German-only fields)

Frans wrote:

Kehl (EDSK)

That’s close to where I live, don’t know of anyone speaking English there but maybe there is someone.

LFST, France

Sorry to bump this 9 month old thread, but came across it while researching German-only airfields:

I’m planning a trip to Hannover around new year to meet a friend and was hoping to make a stop at a small airfield or two on the way – would like to see more of German aviation than a giant international airport! In particular, EDWO Osnabruck-Atterheide looks like a good place for avgas & cake on the way out. I think this is a German only airfield? (previous poster mentioned it, and on their website they have an old Jepp plate with (ge) on it)

Do you think it would be worth trying to visit despite not being a German speaker? (I can speak very rudimentary German, and would be very happy to learn the basic phrases for the circuit (Endanflug etc.) & make a cheat sheet. But I suspect their English is going to be better than my German on any day so possibly safer sticking to English)

I can email them and ask of course, but I’m wondering if I contact them officially they’ll be forced to give an official answer of “no”, when in fact they might be much more relaxed unofficially.

(I was also going to ask how to tell if somewhere is German only as I can’t find notes in the AIP – but I see another poster mention you have to pay for DFS data :( )

EGSG, United Kingdom

The DFS plate for EDWO says “Ge” (=German) for the frequency, so the formal answer is that only German is allowed.

In practice, that may have little bearing and English might be accepted unless there is a particularly officious Flugleiter on duty.

As discussed repeatedly, there have been very few (alleged) cases where pilots ran into trouble for speaking English on “Ge-only” frequencies.

I have no knowledge about this particular field. I know that for example Leer-Papenburg EDWF is very tolerant of English speakers on the radio and will always reply in decent English if called upon. But they are a good bit further north of your route.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 04 Nov 05:22
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Whether they will accept an English speaking pilot really only depends on how good English the Flugleiter on shift that day can speak. They write “German only” so they don’t need to worry about it but if you contact them in advance and they happen to have someone available who speaks English they will be happy to help I think (I don’t know this field so not a guarantee).
I think the best way to go is: if your friend speaks German, explain this situation and ask if they can call the airfield and ask (in German) if they can organize for an English speaking Flugleiter to be on site when you arrive.
If they say yes you might then need to confirm with an official PPR, via email or maybe they have a form for that on their website, I haven’t checked. I would definitely not just fly in and hope for the best, this is not the German way :)

LFST, France

Thanks folks, noted all the above ;) I’ll get in touch with them next month, closer to the time.

Side note – pleased to discover today that DFS VFR AIP data will be free from January

EGSG, United Kingdom

Interesting thread…
I grew up in Germany as native and moved to Switzerland. That is where I got my license and RT (EN).
Flying frequent to Germany visiting the relatives – exploring the airfields. It never was an issue on GE only airfields until recent: the Flugleiter replied on the radio in EN, did a few circuits. Felt normal.
However when I payed the fee he mentioned that I have to speak GE on thee radio (not for him but for the other pilots). Told I cannot official and he said just do and I did for departure. Was the first time I really felt guilty and thought about getting the BZF.

Last Edited by parachutesj at 04 Dec 20:51
Switzerland

Actually, you can obtain a “German RTF” privilege in Switzerland as well, which will be entered in your Swiss PPL. You don’t need to go to Germany for a BZF1.

Switzerland

Actually, you can obtain a “German RTF” privilege in Switzerland as well, which will be entered in your Swiss PPL.

Why do you think it’s valid? Is this part of some bilateral Germany-Switzerland agreement that state “Swiss PPL + German RTF” are accepted in D-reg aircraft in German airfields without BZF1? who come up with such assumption?

I doubt it’s something covered in ITU, ICAO conventions? I recall the Swiss PPL is only valid in D-reg in German airfields because of EASA rules and nothing else…

While I agree it’s common sense and friendly Flugleiters may let you go away with it but unless there is a billateral agreement to back that claim up or get confirmation from LBA or Bundesnetzagentur that FOCA German RFT is valid in D-reg it won’t fly well in a high profile accident, be really careful out there if speaking German in D-reg without LBA PPL, you are not well covered as you think !

On CH-reg, you are relying on your FOCA PPL and FOCA English RFT to fly in Germany, not sure if you can talk in Germany with FOCA German RTF with CH-reg? rest assured though FCL055 & EASA covers you, Bundesnetzagentur and LBA can’t and won’t come after you anyway as they don’t regulate CH-reg radio station and FOCA PPL/RTF privileges !

What is crystal clear: without FOCA English RFT/LP one can’t fly beyond Swiss Borders to Germany or anywhere else, I am sure both FOCA & LBA can confirm the accuracy of this statement (this may enlighten someone on how RTF/LP privileges work on crossing borders)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Dec 13:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As said in the other topic many times before, RTF privileges in EASA licenses are entered under section XII. The Swiss CAA knows the difficulties of flying from/to German-only airfields in Germany, so they give their pilots the opportunity to do a German RTF exam directly in Switzerland. See it as a kind of “service”.

Germany is a full EASA member state. Therefore, they have to accept all entries under section XII, if you fly an EASA-reg. If your country offers “German” as an entry under section XII, the Germans will accept it, as if it was a BZF. Note: Even Germans in Germany don’t have to obtain a BZF. If they do the RT exams directly at the CAA, they’ll get their radio privileges entered under section XII without a BZF from the Bundesnetzagentur.

Last Edited by Frans at 12 Dec 13:34
Switzerland

The Swiss CAA knows the difficulties of flying from/to German-only airfields in Germany, so they give their pilots the opportunity to do a German RTF exam directly in Switzerland. See it as a kind of “service”.

That is irrelevant? it has to be LBA or Bundesnetzagentur who does the test? or at least recognise it? remember German RTF is not covered by ICAO, ITU, EASA

Putting the question again, does anyone has a legal confirmation that FOCA German test is accepted by LBA or Bundesnetzagentur in D-reg? I am referring to legal texts not common sense (we all have brains for that)

Germany is a full EASA member state. Therefore, they have to accept all entries under section XII, if you fly an EASA-reg

I would love to say “UK IRR rating” was valid to fly IFR in Germany as it was printed in Section XII of EASA licence I would not have done an ICAO IR if that was true…

The list of what is accepted between EASA states is rather clear: German RTF/LP is not one of those (English RTF/LP: YES…as far as FCL legalities are concerned the Mountain Rating in Netherlands on Danish PPL has more chances on the legal side to land on altiport with DGAC than German RTF on FOCA PPL with LBA on D-reg in German only airfield)

As I said, it’s mandatory to have English RTF/LP on FOCA PPL for cross country border or cross aircraft registration flying:

• It’s legal to fly CH-reg in Switzerland with German RTF/LP only but not beyond
  • It’s illegal to fly cross borders without it in CH-reg or D-reg even with German RTF/LP
  • It’s illegal to fly D-reg without English RTF/LP in Switzerland even with German RTF/LP

You can speak to FOCA and LBA to confirm the above, they will know all the EASA, ICAO, ITU mechanics behind it…

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Dec 13:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message