Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pros and cons of de-icing systems for a VFR pilot looking at IFR later

Flyer59 wrote:

-15 °C actually,

It really is just a matter of probability. Just like someone counts with 0 on the other end and someone else with +5. If you want to be a bit more conservative, count with -25. If I remember correctly, AOPA had a document that stated high risk of icing in stratiform clouds down to -15 °C. And medium risk to a bit under -20 °C. Low was to -30 °C. It was of course worse for cumulus clouds.

Except the PA-46 there IS no SEP with radar. Satellite weather will be ok for most flights

IIRC some version of 210 had a factory option for a weather radar. And some high wing Cessnas had it retrofitted (I remember even 182 with a radar). That doesn’t change my opinion that a radar is a good thing when you intend to spent time in a soup.

PS: Do you know how precise is your OAT reading?

Last Edited by Martin at 25 Nov 12:35

It’s more or less precise, +/- 2°C, I think.

Thanks for the information. Of COURSE Radar is a nice thing to have, but for the class of airplane we are discussing here (newer SEP) it is irrelevant. The Sat. systems will be enough for almost all missions, IMHO.

Peter wrote:

If you are legally VFR, you cannot get structural icing. That happens only below 0C and in IMC.

You most certainly can. The aircraft can ice up quickly if you are in a cold zone below a warmer front due to super cooled rain, even in perfectly good VFR condition.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message